Switching "user" on family account

butkusjr
butkusjr
Community Member

I am working on getting my parents on 1pass, i have a family account setup. I am really liking it so far, and my mom is testing it out first before we get my dad on board.
Only issues i am having is when i go to their house and try to access my account/vaults in the app (1password 8, windows 10). I cannot find anything on this either, but how does someone "switch users" on the password app? Not only is this an issue for me, but once my mom decides to get my dad rolling with it, we will need to make the transition as painless as possible or he won't be on board.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• @butkusjr

1Password is designed as a single-user app. The likely best way forward would be to use something like Fast User switching with multiple OS accounts. This would allow each user to log in to their own respective accounts and have their own desktop settings like mail, messages, and so forth. You could also look at using separate browser profiles for each user, though this carries some pitfalls. With separate user profiles, things like Touch ID would likely not be available to all profiles.

Fast User switching is how I set up all of my family accounts. It provides me with OS admin-level access should the family member need assistance. Plus I can keep ready access to my passwords on their device should I need to do so.

Consider placing any needed credentials into a shared vault that can be accessed from within their accounts should the need arise. For us, we keep the Wi-Fi password and things like the Netflix password in the shared vault. Family recipes too. My oldest keeps my grandsons daycare details in the shared vault should I need to pick him up.

• If you are using a shared vault (family account), please remember all users have access. We created a shared vault between my son and me for restricted access. Aka, my younger kids do not have access.
  • Schick
    Schick
    Community Member

Unfortunately due to this issue we will be canceling our trial. This just doesn't work for a family with multiple users who sometimes use the same desktop computer. We have no interest in creating separate iOS accounts for everyone. If 1P updates this in the future, we may reconsider.

• Ronso
    Ronso
    Community Member

+1

This discussion has been closed.