Feature Request: LAN-only device sync

Options
metapede
metapede
Community Member

Given the highly-sensitive nature of what's stored in 1Password, and in light of what just happened with LastPass, I have always been very leery about the cloud aspects of 1Password. Originally I used it on one device only, with no synchronization. Over time, the convenience factor won, and my family uses 1Password. But this means the thought of a breach is incredibly scary.

Would you consider offering a LAN-only option, with no cloud storage or sync at all? Where device-sync would happen locally over WiFi, perhaps where we could designate specific trusted WiFi networks where sync between devices is safe?

1Password Version: 8.9.11
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 12.4
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hi there @metapede

Vaults which don't sync, or sync through a legacy method, like Wi-Fi, Dropbox, or iCloud, are no longer supported, and won't be again. Our founder Dave goes into more depth as to why here: https://1password.community/discussion/129161/the-future-of-local-standalone-vaults

Recent events have meant that there's a spotlight on the security of 1Password accounts, and rightly so! Our customers want to make sure that 1Password doesn't have a similar risk. And we don't.

In short: the Secret Key, which is part of a 1Password account, protects you from the kinds of threats which have happened lately.

I replied to another customer's concern about cloud security in another thread, and you might find my comment there useful:

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/668624/#Comment_668624

Towards the bottom of my comment, you'll see a comparison with standalone vaults (which wouldn't sync to 1Password.com).

Our Principal Security Architect, Jeff Goldberg, also published a blog post yesterday which goes in to the security of 1Password in a bit more depth: Not in a million years.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.