How to obtain secret key for new account?

Options
tcoker
tcoker
Community Member

I'm running away from LastPass as fast as I can so I set up a new, free 1Password Family account which was offered through my employer. After account creation I received the welcome email telling me that my secret key is in the emergency kit. So far so good.

However when I click the link in my email I'm directed to https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/ which instructs me to obtain the emergency kit but this sign-in requires the secret key which I can only obtain after signing in. I tried the "Having trouble signing in?" link on the login page and was emailed a link to view my account but that includes only the first portion of the key. According to https://support.1password.com/secret-key/#find-your-secret-key-on-1passwordcom I should be able to sign in and get the key by viewing my profile, but I can't sign in because I do not have the key.

I need the key to sign in but I can't sign in without the key. How does a new customer access this product?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @tcoker

The Emergency Kit is automatically downloaded to your device during the signup process. Have you checked your Downloads folder for the Emergency Kit PDF?

Please let me know. :)

Ben

• tcoker
    tcoker
    Community Member
    Options

It didn't download. I searched my computer and I do not have it. I understand that 1Password does not have the secret key. How do I regenerate it without being able to log in? Do I need to delete and recreate my account?

• Ben
    Options

Interesting. I'm not sure how it would've been possible to complete the account setup without downloading the Emergency Kit. At this point though, yes, if you do not have your Secret Key the only recourse would be to delete the account and recreate.

Ben

• tcoker
    tcoker
    Community Member
    Options

Of course I checked my Chrome download history too and it wasn't there. Anyway, the solution was to unlink my personal account from the company account, delete the personal account and then create a new linked account. I was able to save the secret on the second attempt. I'm sure the original problem was due to user error, but it was simple enough to correct. Thanks for your reply!

• I am happy to hear things worked out for you tcoker. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

This discussion has been closed.