What happens if 1Password closes there doors

wasd528
wasd528
Community Member

I just want to know what happens to all my passwords when 1Password is insolvence and is no longer available?

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

If the 1password services should suddenly vanish from one day to the other, you still have the app installed on your machine(s) with all of its cached data from the cloud, so you can export all your items with the app and import this to another password manager.

Export is only existing in the desktop apps, so you should make sure you don't solely rely on the website and on the browser plugin but also install the desktop app (which is much more convenient for editing items than the website anyway).

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

It is probably worth while to sporadically do an export and store it somewhere safe as a last resort backup. But you want this somewhere either (a) offline completely - so a USB key in your sock drawer or similar, a fire proof safe would be better, or (b) in/on another encrypted drive offsite - not sure if an encrypted cloud storage drive would be secure enough but might be (encrypted backup file in an encrypted cloud drive with 2 different strong passwords should be pretty inaccessible and near uncrackable)...?

FYI: Other good PW Managers like Bitwarden (its my next choice after 1PW at present) can import the 1Password "1PUX" file - this is good because it contains your whole vault, not just the usernames, passwords and URLs (so has the self uploaded icons, files, additional data, etc). Otherwise you have to use a plain unencrypted CSV file which only has text and nothing else in it.

Whatever you do stay clear of LastPass! ;-)

But hopefully 1Password & AgileBits should be around for a long while to come...

• Hey all.

This is all good advice. It's much the same as if your email provider disappeared overnight and you only had your offline cache of your email. You'd be able to move that somewhere else.

I'm happy to say though that we're in very good shape financially. While I can't go into the specifics of our finances, I think it's safe to say we're not going away any time soon. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.