Incorrect driver license expiration notice

sri
sri
Community Member

My driver license item in 1Password shows the warning

However that is incorrect. It actually expires on Feb 1 2023.

The issue stems from the fact that 1Password only allows mm/yyyy for expiration date of a driver license and it treats that as the last day of the stated month.

I had recorded the expiration of my license as 02/2023. This resulted in 1Password assuming that that meant Feb 28. However per the state of North Carolina it expires on Feb 1. A whole month off!!

Yes, had I known this I would have noted the expiration as 01/2023. However the item is an expiration date. So why not prompt for the date?

1Password Version: 80904044, on PRODUCTION channel
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: 13.1 (22C65)
Browser:_ N/A
Referrer: forum-search:Driver license date format

Comments

• Hey there @sri

You're right! I've just tested this out and it looks like Watchtower always assumes the last day of the month you enter, which could lead to you getting an "Expiring Soon" banner a month later than expected.

I've filed a bug report for this so that the development team are aware of it and can look into fixing it. Thanks for taking the time to let us know. Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

ref: dev/core/core#19160

• sri
    sri
    Community Member

@GreyM1P Thanks for the response.

I am not sure how this is going to be fixed. As it stands now, the mm/yyyy format of the field leaves it open to interpretation.

• If you change it the field to include the date users will have to be informed of change to existing entries
    • If you leave it as mm/yyyy you need to inform the users what that means.
  • You make a good point, @sri. I noticed passports have a full date expiration, so there's some discussion to be had about where/why we use each format across different item categories. I think this also makes a good case for custom templates!

I'll add some notes to the report Grey filed, we appreciate you reporting this and sharing your insight. 😊

ref: IDEA-I-374
    ref: IDEA-I-498

This discussion has been closed.