Exporting items creates zero byte folder?

f8lee
f8lee
Community Member

I am still using 1Password7, and have been attempting to do the export function (exporting to a secure USB thumb drive)

However, regardless of which option I choose - 'all items' or 'selected items' when I direct it to that thumb drive the folder is created but it remains empty.

Is there some step I am missing?

1Password Version: 7.9.8
Extension Version: 70908000macOS 12.4
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@f8lee

Is it possibjle that you have not allowed 1Password 7 access to Removable Volumes?

• f8lee
    f8lee
    Community Member

Huh - after 3 or 4 years of using it I never knew that was a thing - thanks for the idea!

So if I check the "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" under Preferences-->local vaults, will that do the trick you think?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2022

@f8lee

After significant macOS updates, or software updates, macOS may require authorization for apps to access certain special areas (Desktop, Downloads, Network or Removable volumes, etc).

I don’t know if this is the issue, but 1Password won’t be able to write to these special locations if it was denied. The 0 byte file has me puzzled as I would expect a complete inability to write if 1Password was not granted access.

• f8lee
    f8lee
    Community Member

Well, after finding and changing that setting in 1Password, I was able to export the file (about 600KB) to an external drive - from where I dragged and dropped it to the secure thumb drive (and deleted it on the external). So thank you for pointing this out.

• @f8lee

I'm glad to hear MrC could help out.

⚠️ * Exported data files are not encrypted. They are stored in plain text. Anyone with access to your exported data files will be able to read your passwords. Do not email exported data files or store them online. Delete them when you are done with them.

• f8lee
    f8lee
    Community Member

@ag_tommy - thank you; yes I am aware they are not encrypted. This is why I have copied them onto an encrypted USB thumb drive that i can store elsewhere. This is the unit to which I refer:

Apricorn 128GB Aegis Secure Key 3 NXC 256-Bit Hardware-Encrypted USB 3.2 Type C Flash Drive, FIPS 140-3 Level 3 Validated (ASK3-NXC-128GB)

• Yup, I figured you were aware as you described "a secure USB thumb drive". The mention was mainly for anyone else who might happen on this topic. ;) Sorry for not being clearer.

This discussion has been closed.