Autofill using HTML "id"

PLISSKEN
PLISSKEN
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi yall,

before using 1pw I used a different password manager and use the HTML "id" within the tag for a page that didn't otherwise autofill. I added the id as a "custom field" as "text" and it then autofilled using the id.

I tried the same with 1pw but I can't seem to get it to work.

The HTML from the page in question, where the id=mat-input-1:

<input _ngcontent-elk-storefront-c223="" matinput="" type="email" inputmode="email" autocapitalize="off" autocorrect="off" autocomplete="email" formcontrolname="login" class="mat-input-element mat-form-field-autofill-control mat-autocomplete-trigger ng-tns-c53-3 cdk-text-field-autofill-monitored ng-touched ng-dirty ng-invalid" data-ta="loginEmail-input" aria-label="E-postadress" aria-describedby="mat-error-2 mat-error-3" required="" id="mat-input-1" data-placeholder="mail@example.org" aria-required="true" role="combobox" aria-autocomplete="list" aria-expanded="false" aria-haspopup="listbox" placeholder="mail@example.org" data-com.bitwarden.browser.user-edited="yes">

Anyone knows how to do this with 1pw?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.9.10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win11
Browser:_ Edge

Comments

• Hey @PLISSKEN,

I'm sorry for the delay.

On the item you have tried this on are you able to get the field to fill if you go to the page and then click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and then click Autofill from here?

If not, can you possibly point me at the page/field so I can do some testing and best advise?

Thank you!

• PLISSKEN
    PLISSKEN
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Hi @steph.giles,
    it does not autofill if I click the 1pw icon in my browser, I don't think it recognize the field. That's why when I used the other pw manager, used the id to let the pw manager know what field to autofill.

The page is in Swedish but I think you can use it to try anyway. I tried to use Google translate to translate the page and it looks ok.

https://www.elgiganten.se/

Click "Logga in" or "sign in" in the top right corner. It should open a login menu from the right where you can see the email field in question.

//Carl

• steph.giles
    edited January 2023

Hey @PLISSKEN,

Thank you for getting back to me with this. You're right, 1Password is having a hard time recognising this field. I have filed an issue with our development team to see if we can improve the behaviour on this page in a future update.

In the meantime, I found I was able to fill the field by manually saving a login and then clicking on the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar followed by 'Autofill' next to the item. I'm sorry that this isn't ideal, let us know if you have any questions.

ref: dev/core/core#19249

• PLISSKEN
    PLISSKEN
    Community Member

Hi @steph.giles,

Ok, I am not able to recreate your temp solution though.

This is not for this specific page (just an example) but more in general.

I of course don't know how 1pw does its matching with the stored "username" and the corresponding field on a webpage but being able to fix when this doesn't happen by adding a custom field is a really neat way of getting autofill to work on webpages where the matching doesn't work. To "point" 1pw where to add the stored information.

For reference, I was doing this in the other pw manager, and it was able to match the data I entered with the field with the corresponding "id" tag. The same thing was possible for a "name" tag as well.

So, I guess adding a feature to 1pw to match HTML tags on webpages with data stored would be the user story.

• Hey @PLISSKEN,

Thanks for getting back to me.

When 1Password doesn't save for example, the username correctly I would suggest sending the website over to us so we can try and improve this in a future update.

As for other fields, you can create custom fields using the HTML ID as you have suggested and see if you can get them to fill that way. 1Password will not show the inline menu for these fields though you will need to click on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose 'Autofill' next to the item.

It's interesting that this doesn't work for you on the login form for https://www.elgiganten.se/, can you check that the website URL is saved within the item?

Thanks!

• PLISSKEN
    PLISSKEN
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Thanks @steph.giles,

I was writing a test case for you guys and doing that it suddenly worked as I expected.

Sorry for wasting your time. A big thank you for your effort and for your whole team for helping users out this way. I am so not regretting moving to 1pw :D :D

Rgds,
    Carl

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

Hey @PLISSKEN - Thanks for letting us know things look to be on track. And, it's never a waste of time, we're always happy to help however we can! 🙂

We truly appreciate your support of 1Password - Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.