How to move passwords from private vault to shared vault

Options
JimMxxx
JimMxxx
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Families

Ok. This has to be simple but I need some help to point me in the right direction. I'm migrating a family account from LastPass to a family account in 1Password. All's good so far. I'm setup and using the app with no issues. Now today I added my wife, and in LastPass I had a shared folder that we could both access, just like a shared vault. For the life of me, I cannot find the way that you move items in the private vault to the shared vault. Everything in 1Password has been simple so far, and I'm sure this is too, but this one little issue is confounding me, and I appreciate someone pointing me to the right place. I'm hoping that there is a way I can select a bunch of passwords in my vault, and move them all at once to a shared vault.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How to move passwords from private vault to shared vault

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@JimMxxx

What platform are you using? Directions depend on the platform.

• JimMxxx
    JimMxxx
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I figured it out. I was trying to do it on the web platform and that doesn't seem to be an option. I downloaded the app to my Macbook and once in the app it worked the way I expected it to.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Great, @JimMxxx !

• @JimMxxx

Welcome to 1Password! 😊 I'm happy to hear that you were able to figure things out. If you're interested we have a guide on moving/copying items here: Move and copy items

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with.

-Dave

• JimMxxx
    JimMxxx
    Community Member
    Options

That all works fine on my Macbook. Doesn't work on my Chromebook.

• @JimMxxx

If you're using the web version of 1Password at 1Password.com, then you're right, multiple selections aren't available right now (although we are working on overhauling 1Password.com to be more similar to the 1Password apps).

Assuming your Chromebook is fairly recent,y you might be able to install the Android version of 1Password on it and use that instead, which (in my experience as a Pixelbook user) can be easier to use for certain tasks.

Alternatively, you can (if supported) install the Linux version of 1Password if your Chromebook supports it. To find out, click the clock on your Chromebook and choose ⚙️ Settings, then < > Developers in the sidebar. If you see "Linux development environment", your Chromebook supports Linux apps. If you'd like me to help you install this on your Chromebook, let me know and I'll be happy to help out. :)

• azhomeuser
    azhomeuser
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

Even if you're trying to move a single password between vaults, my.1password.com makes it painfully non-obvious on how to do this. The option is there, but unless you know how to interpret an icon of a box with an arrow pointing up, you would never know.

No one's going to intuitively know what this means:

You guys should really rethink that -- and make it more clear.

• @azhomeuser – You're right that 1Password.com needs a bit of an update, and we are working on bringing it more in line with how the main 1Password apps work. I can see how the button you showed could be seen as "only" a Share button, without the additional meaning of "do something with this item". I'll pass that feedback on to the team. Thanks for taking the time to let us know. :)

• ekvigne
    ekvigne
    Community Member
    Options

Just spent time reviewing the Families Help sections for creating vaults and sharing passwords. Nothing there describes this process. Was only able to figure it out through this forum post. Very frustrating..

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2023
    Options

@ekvigine

My apologies for the trouble. Did you find our page on moving items? Move or copy items Did you land on our support start page? If not it's a great place to bookmark. It can provide suggestions to your needs 1Password Support We're glad to have you with us in the community too.

This discussion has been closed.