Want to change Secret Key

JPBCA
JPBCA
Community Member

Want to change my secret key. How to most efficiently do this.

Setup: (1) two accounts (wife and I) on family plan. (2) all entries in shared vault. None in either private.

What’s the easiest way to do this? I had a thought of creating a new account with a different email, and of course a new secret key with it, then deleting the old, but my fear is this would delete all the entries my old account has put in “shared.”

What’s the best way to do this that ensures I don’t lose 100s of entries.

Comments

• Hi there @JPBCA

Changing your Secret Key would mean that you need to sign in again to any 1Password apps with your updated account details, but wouldn't delete any data in your account. However, there are very very few occasions where you should need to change your Secret Key. Typically, we'd only recommend changing it if you think someone else knows it. Could you tell me a bit more about your plan? I look forward to hearing from you.

— Grey

• JPBCA
    JPBCA
    Community Member

Hi! I already found how to change my secret key and have done this. It took seconds to establish the new key and mere minutes to re-login all my devices to use it. :) As to “why” - yes, it was done due to concern of exposure of the key.

• @JPBCA

Glad to hear you've got things sorted. We'll be here if you need any help at any time. :)

This discussion has been closed.