1PW message on iPad to enter 6 digit code that never arrives

Options
iainsmith
iainsmith
Community Member

I’m getting a message from 1PW on my iPad that I have to enter a 6 digit code in order to be able to make and save changes. No code is being emailed or texted to me. Where do I get the code?

1Password Version: 8.9.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IPadOS 61.2
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:2FA code not received

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @iainsmith

It sounds like you may've set up TOTP (time-based one-time password) authentication for your 1Password account. You can read about this here:

Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

In that case, the code you need would come from the app you set up TOTP with. Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, and Authy, are some of the popular ones. Note: this is also a function 1Password itself provides, but because you need the code in order to access 1Password we recommend not storing 1Password's TOTP code only in 1Password.

Does that ring any bells?

Ben

• iainsmith
    iainsmith
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben. It looks like the issue is I have 2FA on my account and use the Authenticator app on the iPhone. I also have Authenticator installed on the iPad but I believe 1PW won’t generate a 2nd QR code for one account. In any case, I wasn’t able to generate a QR code without deleting 2FA and reinstalling on my iPhone, which then generates a QR code. I’m just going to use my iPhone
    to generate the code for my iPad. Thanks again.

• iainsmith
    iainsmith
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben. It looks like the issue is I have 2FA on my account and use the Authenticator app on the iPhone. I also have Authenticator installed on the iPad but I believe 1PW won’t generate a 2nd QR code for one account. In any case, I wasn’t able to generate a QR code without deleting 2FA and reinstalling on my iPhone, which then generates a QR code. I’m just going to use my iPhone
    to generate the code for my iPad. Thanks again.

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

@iainsmith - if you are using Google Authenticator and you set the code up on 1 device you then need to manually export it from that authenticator and manually import it to the one on your other device. As you have done however you can happily use the code off the other device - the authenticators are not device specific. Unfortunately Google Authenticator is the worst authenticator available so you are best to change to another like Authy or even the Microsoft one. If you use Google Authenticator export function be careful to not inadvertently delete your codes afterwards (its the default option for some bizarre reason).

• @iainsmith

I'm happy that you were able to figure things out. Let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.