Why am I repeatedly asked for the master password when using 1password?

Options
mcleaver
mcleaver
Community Member

I have just moved from LastPass and am slightly miffed. Chrome keeps asking for my master password when I want to fill in password details on sites. Why can't it stay logged in and NOT ask for the master PW every time I want to use 1Password?

1Password Version: 2.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:password

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

If you want less password prompts, install the desktop app and activate the integration in the plugin settings (if it's not automatically integrated). Then you can fine tune the unlocking settings in the app, and unlocks will survive the closing of the browser.

• ag_mike_d
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hello @mcleaver,

Thanks for using 1Password! @Tertius3 hit the nail on the head (thanks for the assist). With the 1Password 8 desktop app installed and integration enabled, you can take advantage of the lock settings from the app as well as use Windows Hello to unlock the app and 1Password in the browser.

Get the 1Password apps

Once you've installed the desktop app and signed in, you can ensure integration is enabled by following these steps:
    1. Open your browser, right-click the 1Password icon in the address bar, and choose Settings.
    2. Under the General heading, enable Integrate with 1Password app as needed.

Below I've included some more guides to help with Windows Hello, it's TPM settings, and how to auto-lock 1Password:

If you have any other questions, please let us know. We'll be here to help!

• me2023
    me2023
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! I have the exact same issue, I have the Chrome extension, the Mac app and the Android app and I have to keep entering the master password every few minutes. I have enabled "Integrate with 1Password app" in chrome, I've set Auto-Lock to the max (8 hours) in the Android app - what else am I missing? Is there perhaps some setting somewhere that logs you out of one app if you've accessed another?

• Hello @me2023,

Thanks for your message. There's no setting that would log you out when logging into 1Password elsewhere.

It's sound's like there is a disconnect between 1Password for Mac and 1Password in the browser.

• Do you see a 1Password icon in your browser toolbar? If yes, what happens when you click on it?
    • Is the behaviour the same if you restart your computer?
    • If this behaviour does not persist after a reboot, does it continue to work or eventually start failing again?
    • If you unlock your 1Password desktop app first and then open your browser is 1Password also unlocked?

With regard to 1Password for Android, does the auto-lock behaviour obey your settings when you adjust to a shorter time and test? Then, setting this back to 8 hours, does this work as expected or are you always seeing the app locked after a few minutes.

Looking forward to your reply.

• kamare
    kamare
    Community Member
    Options

I can't get the app to work on my iPhone. I have had to enter my master password 200+ times today. I have followed all the instructions that you sent and this is THE worst app I have ever used. It's so bad, that I am ready to go back to LastPass that was so easy to navigate.

• Hello @kamare,

Please excuse the delay in response. I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you've been experiencing. By the sounds of things with the number of times you are needing to enter your account password, you're having troubles with Touch ID, Face ID or auto-lock settings. I'll provide some guides below:

I have followed all the instructions that you sent

I've included that guide again below. Could you let us know at which step you are having difficulties with the auto-lock settings for 1Password for iOS?

• kamare
    kamare
    Community Member
    Options

There is no touch button and the Face ID button doesn’t turn on. Not understanding why I need either. I don’t have to use them for anything else.

• Hello again @kamare,

Thanks for getting back to me. Touch ID or Face ID are not required but will help make the sign in process quicker without the need to enter your account password each time.

You mentioned, "the Face ID button doesn’t turn on". Could you confirm that you have setup Face ID on your device, Use Face ID on your iPhone or iPad Pro – Apple Support.

Also, that you have set up Face ID in the 1Password for iOS app:

In this situation, the issues seem to be related the auto-lock settings of the 1Password for iOS app and that you are required to enter your account password more often than you would like. Please let us know where you are experiencing difficulties when trying to adjust the auto-lock settings in the iOS app. Here's our guide: How to set 1Password to lock automatically.

Thank you for your patience.

This discussion has been closed.