Why does my vault contain a file that includes my Master Password?

ekvigne
ekvigne
Community Member

I'm migrating from LastPass. I thought that a primary security feature included the idea that the provider does not keep a copy of the Master Password. In 1Password, I see a file labeled "1Password Account (Our Family)" which includes both the security key as well as the Master Password. Please help me understand why this makes sense. Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:why is my secret key included as a record in my vault?

Comments

• azhomeuser
    azhomeuser
    Community Member

I think that's just there as a convenience so you can log into my.1password.com when editing entries from your browser plugin.

To clarify a bit, since it's in your vault, they're not "keeping a copy of the Master Password", right? Because if they could see into your vault, they've got everything anyway, and the Master Password would be irrelevant.

• Hi there @ekvigne

As @azhomeuser mentioned (thanks!), we don't know your account password and that item is generated by the 1Password app itself when you first start using 1Password – it didn't come from outside, if that makes sense.

It'll help sign you in to 1Password.com, and will also serve as a reminder of your account password if you can't remember it but you can still unlock 1Password using biometrics, like Face ID, Touch ID, Windows Hello, or a similar method.

I hope that answers your question fully, but please do let me know if I can be of any further help. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.