How to print a password list - lots of questions asked, where are the answers??

BobBarker
BobBarker
Community Member

I see lots of "how do I print a password List", but I cannot see any answers. What is the trick to seeing the answers (if any)??

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:print password ;ist

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@BobBarker - If you are using 1Password 8, there is no print function currently. One of the main reasons for this is something I've been saying for years on this forum: what you're getting if you print out your 1Password data is essentially a snapshot of that data, sort of like a Time Machine backup or 1Password's own backups. When you print out your 1Password database, the data on the printout you made starts becoming out of date and incorrect as soon as you begin adding, deleting or changing items in 1Password. I suppose if you never added, deleted or changed any of your 1Password data, it might not matter. But most of us create new accounts at new websites, we change passwords at old ones, and delete still others - not to mention adding and changing all sorts of non-login/password information. A printout you made six months ago would not just possibly but likely be out of date in ways that could be quite risky to rely on, due to lacking newer, correct information. "Hard copies" like that should never be relied on as a substitute for the dynamically-updating data within 1Password. They're also potentially a security risk as (of course) a printout of that kind is unencrypted, meaning anyone coming across the paper would have immediate access to any of your items that had not been changed since the printout.

The above is merely advice and an explanation for why adding print functionality hasn't been at the top of our list. In a 1Password account, you have the ability to individually view and restore previous versions of any item using either the 1Password apps or 1password.com, so if you need to see a previous version of a password, for example, we've got you covered.

This discussion has been closed.