Request: Customize password suggestion options

Hello,
Regularly when configuring a password on a site, you automatically get a decent password suggested. However, I’d like to increase the security/lenght/complexity of the default suggestion even more. Is it possible or can you make it possible?

This customization is available in KeePass as an example.

Comments

• Hey @mhedlund,

You can amend the suggested passwords from the password generator. Here's how:

1. Open your browser, click on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and sign in.
    2. Click on the round settings icon next to the search bar and choose Password Generator.
    3. Within here you can change the password type and length and then use the toggle at the bottom to set it as a default for suggestions.

I hope this helps!

• mhedlund
    mhedlund
    Community Member

Wonderful, thank you @steph.giles ! Exactly what I was after!

• You're welcome @mhedlund,

Let us know if you have any further questions!

• Skepilot
    Skepilot
    Community Member

Is there a way to change the settings from this screen? With LastPass we could select options right from this dialogue box.

• Hey @Skepilot,

You can't amend the password suggestion from the field but you can if you click on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings > Password Generator form here.

I hope this helps!

• Skepilot
    Skepilot
    Community Member

That's too bad. Since every website has its own password rules, it would make more sense to change it here, on the fly, rather than change a global setting that will just have to be changed again on the next website.

• Hey @Skepilot,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The default setting for 1Password is 'Smart password' which means it will try to suggest a password based on the specific requirements of the page that you are on. If the suggestion doesn't meet the requirements on the website then please let us know and we can pass this on to our developers to see if we can improve the behaviour on the page.

I hope this makes sense.

This discussion has been closed.