My.1password.com has dated OS info for Trusted Devices

Options
TravelSD
TravelSD
Community Member

I logged into my.1password.com and reviewed the list of trusted devices. I'm in the Apple ecosystem, so I have Macs, iPad, iPhone, Safari, etc. Literally every single trusted device has the wrong OS information. It's all very dated. I'm a day one upgrader to any Apple OS, and now even months after iOS 16, Ventura, and their minor updates, 1Password's info is entirely dated. This appears to be a bug?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• GreyM1P
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hey there @TravelSD

This is expected behaviour when looking at the user agent for any browser on an Apple device because of how Apple's OSes report their version numbers. For example, I'm using a Mac running macOS Ventura, but when I check my browser's user agent at this website, I see the following:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/108.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

The "10_15_7" that you see in that string would refer to macOS Catalina, not macOS Ventura. Apple have decided not to report any higher version numbers than 10.15.7 in user agent strings, even when using a browser other than Safari. Because 1Password.com can only go by what the user agent string says, you will see outdated version information for 1Password browser extensions in My Profile on 1Password.com.

For what it's worth, a similar thing seems to happen with Windows. On my Windows 11 PC, for example, my user agent is reported as Windows 10:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/108.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

Any 1Password apps will correctly report the version of macOS, as in this example:

If you haven't yet installed 1Password for Mac, you can do so from here:

1Password – Downloads – macOS

I hope that answers your question fully, but please do let me know if I can be of any further help. :)

— Grey

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member
    Options

Ok so I understand browser information not being current. But on most devices I have 1Password physically installed (Mac, iPhone, iPad) and with a 'fat' client on the device it would seem 1Password CAN pull current OS info? So it would seem reasonable for devices in the trusted list that have local installs to pull current OS info in?

• @TravelSD

The 1Password app and the 1Password browser extension are separate sessions (they connect to 1Password.com independently) and so, if you're using both, you'll see separate entries for both the app and the browser extension under Trusted Devices. The session for the desktop app should have the correct operating system version but the session for the browser extension may not for the reasons that Grey mentioned above.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.