2FA

Options
shipdriver
shipdriver
Community Member

My goal is to use 2FA on my laptop. Not use it on my desktop or mobile (i have fingerprint). My setting show 2FA is on. wasn't sure if you could have seperate choices so I contacted support.

I was told 2FA only works on your first login to the device. I'm sure if you clear cache it would require it again but I was disappointed to hear that. That laptop could easly get into the wrong hands. The password can be defeated as we all know. The key that 1Password offers is on that machine.

So....is what they told me true? I really want 2FA on the laptop. Seems strange that the leader in password security does not give you an ongoing 2FA option?

I just switched over from Lastpass after their troubles And I and I wanna report that I'm very happy with the functionality of my chrome extension I really like I really like this software but I'm underwhelmed with the email support. if I send three different questions I get I get one answer several days later maybe?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @shipdriver,

Thanks for question and sorry for any delays with responses both here and via email through 1Password Customer Support.

It is true that 2fa is only required for the first login on a device. I've included here to Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account, which includes details about how to View and manage trusted devices.

Should your device get into the wrong hands, this guide discusses steps to take, If your device was lost or stolen, and it has your 1Password data on it.

We do understand your concerns and that you would like the ability to always require 2fa on a specific devices. We have a request open with the Product team and I've added your thoughts there. Your feedback is appreciated!

ref: 29821352

• shipdriver
    shipdriver
    Community Member
    Options

ok i will review procedures for stolen laptop. thx for understanding the importance of 2FA on a laptop. IF ihad to use it either always on or always off on all devices. I would just do like I did with Last Pass. I just turn 2FA on when traveling with laptop or just deal with 2FA a few times a day on desktop. either way, I'l feel better when I have 2FA😉

• shipdriver
    shipdriver
    Community Member
    Options

it seems community a better place for help than email. which is fine I got good answers to both my queries from the community👍

• Hello @shipdriver,

On behalf of @ag_mike_d, you're most welcome.

As always, don't hesitate to contact us if you ever have any other questions - we'll be here to help.

Jermaine

• shipdriver
    shipdriver
    Community Member
    Options

Please verify that if my laptop is stolen these are the proper steps to change my key. And that after I regenerate the new key I don't have to worry about my laptop vault getting the password hacked because the key has been changed?

Regenerate your Secret Key and deauthorize the lost device
    Sign in to your account on 1Password.com to get started.

Click your name in the top right and choose My Profile.
    Click Regenerate Secret Key.
    Enter your account password, then click Regenerate Secret Key.
    Download your new Emergency Kit and store it safely, then click Got It.
    Scroll down and click next to your lost or stolen device, then click Deauthorize Device.
    1Password will ask for your new Secret Key and your account password on each device you’re signed in to.

• Hello @shipdriver,

Thanks for your question.

I can confirm those are the steps to take. Before taking those steps, I have provided a guide on what do If your device was lost or stolen, and it has your 1Password data on it.

You mentioned

And that after I regenerate the new key I don't have to worry about my laptop vault getting the password hacked because the key has been changed?

To answer your question, this is a section taken from the guide above:

You can also regenerate your Secret Key and deauthorize the lost device on 1Password.com, preventing anyone from using it to access your account. An intruder won’t be able to sign in to your account from other devices unless they also have your new Secret Key.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jermaine

This discussion has been closed.