Finding website app is using

Options
dlmtechnology
dlmtechnology
Community Member

I’m trying to use 1P with my banking app and 1P never suggests a login I always need to search for it. I’ve tried putting the website for the main bank website and for their online banking website into the login form inside 1P thinking that would result in that login being suggested but it’s not

Is there a debug mode for 1P that I can turn on to see what website it’s being called for so I can enter that into the correct login so 1P suggests it in the future?

Comments

• dlmtechnology
    dlmtechnology
    Community Member
    Options

I’m trying to use 1P with my banking app and 1P never suggests a login I always need to search for it. I’ve tried putting the website for the main bank website and for their online banking website into the login form inside 1P thinking that would result in that login being suggested but it’s not

Is there a debug mode for 1P that I can turn on to see what website it’s being called for so I can enter that into the correct login so 1P suggests it in the future?

• Hi @dlmtechnology:

Great question!

If you tap the key icon above your keyboard when logging into your bank app, 1Password will open to allow you to search your login items. If there's a website URL displayed as "suggestions for example.com", then that would be the URL to use for your Login item.

As an example, here's what the Facebook app looks like.

If there isn't a URL listed however, the 1Password app won't be able to detect which Login item to use. We use Associated Domains to detect which Login item to use.

Jack

• dlmtechnology
    dlmtechnology
    Community Member
    Options

It just shows this so I guess it’s not getting any data?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @dlmtechnology !

The problem is, that often iOS apps don't have an associated domain implemented. That's why 1Password is not detecting such apps. You could ask the developer of your banking app if such an associated domain is implemented and if not, if it would be possible to do so.

Here you can find details from Apple:
    https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/supporting-associated-domains

You could try if 1Password detects such a domain. If you are on the login screen and 1Password is not suggesting credentials, just try to add a new entry from there and 1Password will show you if there is such a domain or not.

Furthermore, you could set the entry for your bank account as a favorite. So if 1Password didn't find a suggestion, it will show your favorites instead.

Hope this helps a bit ...

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @dlmtechnology !

I just replied here:
    https://1password.community/discussion/comment/671242/#Comment_671242

Maybe this helps to get a solution or a workaround. 😉

• Dave_1P
    edited January 2023
    Options

I've merged the two threads together to keep the conversation in the same place. 🙂

-Dave

• aiefyb
    aiefyb
    Community Member
    Options

Furthermore, you could set the entry for your bank account as a favorite. So if 1Password didn't find a suggestion, it will show your favorites instead.

This is how I've been accessing my bank app's password, but in 1PW 8 favorites don't populate until I tap the search input at the top.

Default - no suggested items (favorites)

Search Focused - suggested items appear
    search focused

• aiefyb
    aiefyb
    Community Member
    Options

Forgot to add that the favorites (other items) are never in the same order either. I've just formed the habit of searching each time, making what used to be 2 taps, 6-7 taps.

• @aiefyb

As DenalB mentioned, reaching out to the developer of the bank app to request that they add an associated domain would be the best option so that they could investigate why their app isn't working with iOS Password AutoFill.

in 1PW 8 favorites don't populate until I tap the search input at the top.

It looks like you see the "Suggested Items" section but the issue is that 1Password is unable to suggest anything since the banking app that you're using doesn't have an associated domain. When you tap on the search field you tell 1Password that you'd like to look for other items and 1Password then suggests items that it thinks you might want to see but that aren't directly related to the site in question. Would you prefer that you see "Other Items" right away? I'd be happy to pass along your feedback to our product team.

Forgot to add that the favorites (other items) are never in the same order either.

Thank you for reporting this. We do have an internal issue open to look into improving the sorting behaviour here and I've added your feedback there so that our developers are aware. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#6211

• aiefyb
    aiefyb
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, thanks for the reply.

As DenalB mentioned, reaching out to the developer of the bank app to request that they add an associated domain would be the best option

I have, and I agree this is good theoretical advice, but I don't think it's a practical solution. You would need to:
    1. Find a way to contact the developer. I'm aware that you should be able to do this in the App Store, but unfortunately most institutions just give a general business contact.
    2. Clearly explain the problem in an email.
    3. Suggest a solution of adding code to their banking app codebase...
    4. Cross fingers and wait

Would you prefer that you see "Other Items" right away? I'd be happy to pass along your feedback to our product team.

Yeah, I think that would be a better experience (and similar to the last version). Right now there's no path forward until you perform an action that returns varying results.

We do have an internal issue open to look into improving the sorting behaviour here

Awesome, thanks! Since we have the ability to sort I assumed that's how they were always meant to display. Maybe old habit from previous versions.

• @aiefyb

I have, and I agree this is good theoretical advice, but I don't think it's a practical solution.

I agree, it's very inconvenient. However, an app developer needs to include an associated domain for their app so that iOS can link their app to a login item in 1Password. The other options include searching for the item (as you've been doing) or copy and pasting your username and password from the main 1Password app: Copy and fill passwords into apps that don't work with 1Password

Yeah, I think that would be a better experience (and similar to the last version). Right now there's no path forward until you perform an action that returns varying results.

Thank you for the elaboration! While I can't make any promises, I've forwarded your feedback to the product team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB30549907

This discussion has been closed.