1Password on Mastodon

op version two can't 'get' certain records

ftpdftpd
Community Member

Hi.
I'm trying to migrate from op CLI v1 to v2, but I've encountered this problem, that some records aren't recognized.

I'm sourcing a 'script' with lines like:

export TF_VAR_some_password="$(op2 item get --cache --fields password some-id)"

and it works for the half of my records - 19 are fine, 19 are not. The 'failed' records are always the same. It looks like that:

$ op2 item get good-id
ID:          good-id
Title:       <redacted title>
Vault:       RedactedVault (<redacted-id>)
Created:     1 year ago
Updated:     1 year ago by <redacted-name>
Favorite:    false
Tags:        prod,rds
Version:     1
Category:    LOGIN
Fields:
  username:    <redacted-data>
  password:    <redacted-data>

$ op2 item get bad-id
[ERROR] 2023/01/16 10:54:13 (404) Not Found: The requested resource was not found.

It works fine with 1Password CLI client version 1, both good-id and bad-id produce a valid json with my data.

Versions:

$ op2 --version
2.12.0

$  op --version
1.12.4

Any ideas, what I'm missing here?


1Password Version: 8.9.13
Extension Version: -
OS Version: Gentoo Linux, kernel 6.1.4
Browser:_ -

Comments

  • Jack.P_1PJack.P_1P

    Team Member

    Hi @ftpd:

    Thanks for reaching out about this! To clarify, when you say some-id, do you specifically mean the UUID of an item, or the name you've given it? Let me know.

    Jack

  • ftpdftpd
    Community Member

    Both. I've tried with UUID and with the name (in "" if it contains spaces, of course).

  • Jack.P_1PJack.P_1P

    Team Member

    Hi @ftpd:

    Thanks for confirming. In that case, could you please reach out to us directly at [email protected]? Include your username: ftpd and a link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/136950/op-version-two-cant-get-certain-records#latest. Mention the trouble you're having, and we'll be able to take a closer look there. Thanks!

    Jack

  • ftpdftpd
    Community Member

    Sure, @Jack.P_1P. Should I do it from an e-mail associated to my 1Password account I'm having this problem on, or it doesn't really matter?

  • Jack.P_1PJack.P_1P

    Team Member

    Hey @ftpd:

    Emailing us from your 1Password account email would be best, thanks! 🙂

    Jack

  • ftpdftpd
    Community Member

    Consider it done! Thanks again for your quick reply.

  • Jack.P_1PJack.P_1P

    Team Member

    You're very welcome! We'll be in touch soon!

    Jack

  • simon_1Psimon_1P

    Team Member

    Hi @ftpd, I'm sorry you're running into issues while migrating!

    One thing that comes to mind that's also different between CLI v2 series and in v1 you had to configure accounts specifically for the CLI, independent of your accounts configured in 1Password 8. If you have the "Connect with 1Password CLI" configuration turned on, v2 will use the accounts configured in 1Password 8.

    In case the item with "bad-id" is stored in an account configured in ~/.op/config, but not in 1Password 8, that could explain the behavior you're running into.

    Could you check the following to determine if you're in this situation:
    1. Do you have "Connect with 1Password CLI" in the 1Password 8 settings turned on?
    2. When searching for "bad-id" in 1Password 8, do the results include the item you're looking for?
    3. Does cat ~/.op/config or cat ~/.config/op include any accounts that are not configured in 1Password 8? Please don't paste the output here directly, or redact the entries for "accountKey". This is your secret key that only you should know.

  • ftpdftpd
    Community Member
    edited January 23

    Hi @simon_1P, thanks for your reply.

    My op is not linked in settings - the documentation here: https://developer.1password.com/docs/cli/about-biometric-unlock/ says it's optional. I've added my account by op account add command and the config file in ~/.config/op/config looks fine.
    Actually, I would like to stick to this configuration, as configuration via Polkit etc. can be troublesome for less technical people in my organization.

    When I search bad-id (by UUID) in 1Password 8, I see the record just fine. Please note: all my records are stored in this account (in the same vault) and part of them works and part doesn't.

  • simon_1Psimon_1P

    Team Member

    Okay, thank you for quickly ruling out the account configuration as possible culprit. Jack is continuing investigation into this inconsistency via the email thread you've started.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file