Exotic: Possible to make 1Password browser extension connect to 1Password over SSH (or other means)?

fatso83
fatso83
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

tldr; I want to connect to my Windows host's 1Password from the browser running on my Linux VM
This is simply to avoid having to unlock 1Password twice all the time.

This might be a tad bit too much on the exotic side of things, but I am wondering if there are ways of tricking the 1Password browser extension into connecting to or "discover" a remote 1Password instance? I have not tried reverse-engineering the extension to figure out how it connects to the desktop application, but I would assume that something living in the browser does so using TCP/IP (related), i.e. connecting to localhost:20001.

If so was the case, might I not be able to forward the connection from Windows into my Linux host. Fully understand if this is not supported, but just thought it would be interesting to see if I could hack my way to some OK-ish solution for my own needs.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

Hey @fatso83 - thanks for raising this here 🙂

1Password utilizes a native messaging communication method to spawn back-end processes, and to maintain a secure connection between the app and the extension. For this to work properly (and securely), it is required for the app and the extension to be contained within the same local environment.

In your case, I would recommend installing the 1Password app on your Linux VM. That way, when using the browser extension in Linux, we can employ our secure protocols to maintain a connection between the app and the extension within your Linux environment: Best Password Manager for Linux.

Let me know if this is helpful, or if I can assist in any way!

• fatso83
    fatso83
    Community Member

Yeah, that was my interim solution, so guess it will be the future one as well :-)

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

Hey @fatso83 - Thanks for the follow-up and confirmation. 🙂

That solution will be your best bet, especially considering the security protocols we have in place to protect your data.

Thanks for your continued support of 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.