Deleted/closed accounts suggested at sign in

Gaza66
Gaza66
Community Member
edited January 2023 in iOS

I have an iPad that I intend to sell on. Having done a complete restore using DFU Mode I reinstalled 1Password to ensure no data would be left behind after a restore I found that I can still see multiple accounts that have previously been deleted/closed suggested on the sign-in screen

After searching the forums I can see that several replies from 1password state that the secret key is placed into the keychain either in iCloud or locally on the device (I have only ever had devices use the local keychains). However there seems to be no mechanism to remove these for deleted/closed 1Password accounts.

If this is the case how are we supposed to sell on or give away iOS devices securely without exposing email addresses which in theory could be used for phishing attempts.

if the next user chose to install 1Password a list of my past accounts and connected email would be suggested on the sign in screen. Whilst they would not be able to login without the relevant password and secret key they would still see the email address and in my case that

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited January 2023

Hello @Gaza66! 👋

The account suggestion that you're seeing in the 1Password app on your iPad is being shown because the 1Password app has found a 1Password account in your iCloud Keychain. In order to make it easier to sign into your 1Password account on your Apple devices 1Password will store an encrypted copy of the equivalent of your Emergency Kit in the iCloud Keychain in your Apple ID.

If you're seeing the account suggestion in the 1Password app after wiping the iPad then it means that you've either not fully erased the iPad or it means that you added your Apple ID account back to the iPad after erasing it. I recommend that you follow Apple's instructions to fully erase your iPad: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Let me know if that helps. 🙂

-Dave

• Gaza66
    Gaza66
    Community Member

Dave

Yes it did pop into my head that my testing was fundamentally Flawed just after I hit the send/post button

I had carried out my tests using the same Apple ID. . Using a different ID after a restore yields the expected results on the sign in page

Thanks You

• @Gaza66

I'm happy to hear that everything is working as expected now. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.