Notification/indicator when secondary account is locked?

I have two 1Password accounts, business and personal. In the web extension, how do I know that one account or the other is locked?

Currently, I hit the situation where I go to fill in a login, I can't find the login for the item in question, and then spend a few minutes in irate frustrating before clicking into the extension sub-menus and realizing an account is locked. It's super infuriating. How do I either

1) Ensure that all accounts are unlocked at the same time
or 2) Have some indicator/prompt that an account is locked, and automatically trigger that prompt to unlock it, instead of having to click the extension, spend 30 seconds figuring out where to click before realizing the 1Password icon in the top left of the extension is clickable, then scroll to see the locked vault?

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

Hi @topher1078 - Thanks for reaching out here. 🙂

I'm sorry for the trouble you've run into and apologize for any interruption in your workflow. I have a couple questions to dig a little deeper:

• Do the business and personal accounts have different account passwords?

• Do you have the 1Password app (desktop app) installed as well, or do you use the browser extension only?

If your account passwords are the same, and you're using the desktop app as well, I'd suggest the following steps:

1. Open your web browser.
    2. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    3. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    4. Under Accounts & Vaults, sign out of your secondary account if it appears there (sometimes it's there but it can't be unlocked - not sure if this is the case for you).
    5. Under Accounts & Vaults, sign into your secondary account.
    6. With your secondary account added, go back to General and re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app".

Let me know!

• topher1078
    topher1078
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Thanks for getting back to me.

1. My accounts do have different passwords. My business account has much stricter requirements than my personal. I would prefer for a variety of reasons to not make them the same password.
    2. I have both the app and the extension installed. (Still someone unsure as to why the Safari web extension is needed, as previously that would have come from the app.)

I did not notice this behavior in 1Password 7, only 8. (Though, as an aside, I find I'm logged out far more in 1Password 8, even though I have the app set to not log me out. Maybe I'm just noticing the vault remaining locked because I'm getting logged out more in general, but I don't think so.)

What are the alternatives if my passwords are not the same between both accounts?

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

Hey @topher1078 - Thanks for the follow up.

I can understand where you're coming from regarding the account passwords. If you'd like to keep the account passwords separate, this means the accounts will not be unlocked together. To tell if an account is locked in the browser extension, you check that here:

1. Right click the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar and select Settings.
    2. Scroll down to the Accounts & Vaults section - you can see which accounts are unlocked here.

Without the account passwords being the same, you would need to unlock the second account manually each time. One thing you can do is create a separate browser profile which has only your business account added, and have it not integrated with the app. This way, you can keep things separate between your personal and work-related actions, and when you're in the work profile there would only be one account to consider unlocking. I realize this might not be ideal in your case, and I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

If you consider in the future to make the passwords the same, here is a guide that can be used as reference: How to use multiple accounts.

Let me know if I can assist further. 🙂

• topher1078
    topher1078
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately none of those really solve the problem.

1. Having to click the 1Password toolbar icon, select settings, and scroll down to the vault is the thing I'm trying to avoid - there should be no reason to go into the extension settings during day to day work. There's no keyboard shortcut or anything, it's just a weird awkward interaction to make a 'regular' part of a workflow.

2. The main part of the frustrating is that I don't know the vault is locked. I basically spend 30 seconds or a minute opening the app, opening the extension, restarting my browser, wondering why the password that I know should be there is not showing up. It's frustrating when the auto-fill shortcut just doesn't work in this case, and I'm basically blocked until I remember to check the vault (buried in the extension settings).

3. The separate browser profile is an interesting suggestion but not really workable with my workflow.

I want very much for things to be how they have been with 1Password for years - one password that unlocks everything, no confusion about what's unlocked or not, clear prompts about when something needs to be unlocked, etc. I know that with the whole 1p8 / cloud account migration that's less feasible, but there must be a better middle ground.

1. The 1Password toolbar icon right now shows the lock icon when the both vaults are locked - can this show locked when only one is locked?
    2. Whenever I'm asked to unlock one account, have a preference to always prompt to unlock the other, if it is not unlocked.
    3. If I attempt to autofill and one vault is locked, show the unlocking prompt for it.
    4. In the 1Password browser form dropdown, have a preference if 1 or more account is locked, show that as an option and make it clickable to unlock.

None of those suggestions/preference options solve the actual problem where one password should unlock everything (which used to be the whole point of this app :) ) but at least they make it crystal clear that the login I'm trying to fill won't appear without additional action, and make performing that action far easier than clicking into the extension submenus.

This discussion has been closed.