Problems switching from LastPass to 1 PW - HELP-Questions

Options

I am finding 1 PW extremely difficult to use or understand. Here's some of my questions:

• Whats the difference between the desktop app and the web app. Why would I use one or both
  • I iuse Winidows 10 and have iPhone and iPads. I don't know how to install 1 PW on my apple phone/ipad
  • Extensions ?? I downloaded the Extension for Chrome - but do I also need to download extensions for Firefox, Edge, Safari etc
  • WHY do I need to find a website and possibly need to impliment 2-Factor ID ? When using LastPass, individual website 2 Factor ID was Not a problem or a decision I needed to make
  • WHERE on the damn internet can I fine step by step info on how to use ALLthe components of 1 PW. There is lots or repetative babble saying the same things - but nothing seems to provide details on the more advanced parts of 1 PW

• Right about now, I'm strongly considering dumping this 1 PW and sticking with Last Pass. But it does seem to have some advanced features that I am drawn to. QUESTION: I do not want to delete my LastPass account until the current suubscription runs out in about 6 weeks.
    -Do I have to remove Last Pass? Will it cause problems with 1 PW.

Thanks for you thoughts & help
JosieNurse

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Trying to switch from LastPass to 1 PW - Don't understand many thinks

Comments

• Hi @JosieNurseTN,

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community and thanks for all the insightful questions, I'll do my best to address them all here:

Whats the difference between the desktop app and the web app. Why would I use one or both

The 1Password 8 apps and 1Password.com can be used to access the same accounts and data. At present, the apps are more up to date and will have a wider suite of features and I would generally recommend using them over the website. That said, there are a handful of functions that can only be done on the website, this includes managing your billing and customizing vault permissions. We're working on bridging this gap though, so hopefully in the future you'll be able to access everything, everywhere.

I use Windows 10 and have iPhone and iPads. I don't know how to install 1 PW on my apple phone/ipad

You can find 1Password 8 in the Apple App Store. There are also links on our website: 1Password 8 for iOS

Extensions ?? I downloaded the Extension for Chrome - but do I also need to download extensions for Firefox, Edge, Safari etc

The 1Password browser extensions offer a more integrated experience within browsers. They're not mandatory for the desktop app to function, but we generally recommend installing the browser extension on all browsers you use regularly so you maintain access to all the available features at all times. You can find more information about our browser extensions (and links to download the various versions) on our website: Get started with 1Password in your browser

WHY do I need to find a website and possibly need to implement 2-Factor ID ? When using LastPass, individual website 2 Factor ID was Not a problem or a decision I needed to make

Apologies if I've misunderstood this one, but it sounds like you may be referring to the two-factor authentication Watchtower alert that looks similar to this:

If so, this banner is to let you know that two-factor authentication is available for the website you've listed in that particular 1Password item. While not necessary, 1Password 8 allows you to generate and store these one-time passwords within the app itself. If you'd like to set this up let me know and we can go through the steps together. Alternatively, you can find more information in this support article: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

Do I have to remove Last Pass? Will it cause problems with 1 PW.

Technically no, however we do recommend disabling other password managers, even those built in to browsers. This eliminates the risk of data being saved in multiple places or, worse yet, data being mistakenly saved somewhere you didn't intend. Only using a single password manager will also lessen the likelihood of graphical conflicts, like seeing the same suggestion in multiple places when signing in to a website. You can find a guide to disabling browser password managers here: Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Lastly, regarding where you can find more support about certain 1Password features, our online support library is a great place to start. I'll share some links to my personal favourite features to get you started:

If you have specific questions you're always welcome to post in this community or email us at support@1password.com. You can also always reply here and I'm happy to assist! πŸ™‚

• JosieNurseTN
    JosieNurseTN
    Community Member
    Options

Andrew, Thank you so much for your quick reply. I will use your info and see if I can sort things out better. If not, I'll be back with more questions :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @JosieNurseTN !

Glad, that you are trying out 1Password and all of its features. And you are absolutely right. For a newbie, it could be difficult to get an overview of all the functionality of 1Password and its apps and browser extensions.

As @andrew.l_1P already mentioned, there are a lot of articles that will help you find help. I would start here for an overview and links to many other articles.
    Get started with 1Password

If you have further questions, we are here to help. πŸ˜‰

• JosieNurseTN
    JosieNurseTN
    Community Member
    Options

I am still having a little trouble understanding the concepts/uses of the on-line 1 PW vs the 1 PW 8 Desktop version.

-Why would I need both? Which is preferable?

• Is everiything I do in the Desktop app - immediately synced/copied into the on-line 1 PW account.
    • AND, is everything I do/add/change to either the online 1PW and/or the Desktop 1 PW 8 also synced into my iphone and iPad ??
    • When I set up 1 PW for my iPhone, it made reference that I should download the Safari extension. I am a Windows 10 user and do not have Safari on my laptop. Why would I need a Safari extension?

THanks everyone. I am making "inroads" to understanding this 1 PW system but still have questions and uncertainties about certain things. Rest assured, I'll be back with more questioins :)

• Hi @JosieNurseTN,

All fair questions, I'm happy to address them!

For the vast majority of day to day use and item management, I recommend using the 1Password 8 desktop or mobile apps over 1Password.com.

Assuming a stable internet connection, yes, new items and changes are immediately saved to your 1Password account and can thus be accessed on all the devices where you've signed in to the same account. This includes the desktop and mobile apps, browser extensions, and 1Password.com.

The 1Password iOS app mentions the Safari extension since Safari is the default web browser on Apple devices. I would recommend it if you use Safari on your iPhone, but the choice is ultimately yours. You can find more information about this particular extension here: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

Looking forward to hearing any future discoveries or questions you have!

And thanks for jumping in to support, @DenalB, much appreciated. 😊

This discussion has been closed.