Use Suggested Password

2»

Comments

• mike3825
    mike3825
    Community Member

This morning I've been devoting more time to get to what triggers password to lock. I woke my computer about an hour ago and 1password was locked. My computer had been sitting idle for about 4 hours. I then continuously used my computer for about 45 minutes without the screen saver coming on and 1password stayed unlocked.

Then I set the screen saver to come on after one minute and waited to see what would happen. The screen saver came on and I left it on for about 30 seconds. Then I started to use the computer and 1password WAS LOCKED. So it definitely is being triggered by the screen saver coming on even thou the lock setting is not checked.

Then I clicked on the 1password icon in the Mac toolbar line, then settings, then browser and here's what I got. It looks like it still does not think the safari 1password extension is running even though it's been installed numerous times. I hope my documentation helps you with your troubleshooting. Thanks

• Hi @mike3825,

I can see in your screenshot that 'Lock on sleep, screensaver or switching users' is ticked so the behaviour you are describing on 1Password locking after your screensaver on sounds like things are working as expected based on the settings you have. If you do not want 1Password to lock on screensaver you will need to uncheck this box.

The settings within the Browser tab look as expected, the reason it is greyed out is because 1Password is locked. The blue 'Get 1Password in your browser' button will always appear even after things are set up in your browser. Are things working in Safari when you open your browser and try and use 1Password to fill?

• mike3825
    mike3825
    Community Member

That fixed it! Thanks for all the help you (and everyone else) gave me.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

@mike3825 The two settings in Auto-lock are independent from each other. If you activate the checkbox, 1Password locks if the computer is being locked ("sleep, screensaver, switching user"). The timer below is independent from this. It just counts from the last user interaction (mouse move, keypress). If it elapsed and no interaction was detected, 1Password locks. You will notice the timeout setting isn't indented deeper than the check box as with other dependent settings, so that's the sign both settings are independent from each other.

1Password will lock if either condition is met, not if both conditions met.

• You're welcome @mike3825, let us know if you have any further questions.

@Tertius3 thanks for the further clarification 🙂

This discussion has been closed.