Feature Request: Improve password generator!

Options

Hey there!

As someone who has found 1Password after paying for "that other" manager for many years, the capabilities of the browser extension (Firefox 108.0.2) is very limited.

I love the passphrase generation, however slowing going through 600+ passwords and resetting many there are so many sites with different password requirements that the generator is pretty pointless.

I'm finding a 40+ character passphrase will not work on many sites. It's great to try that first, but when a site only allows 20 characters and insists on very specific configuration, it's a much slower process as I'm switching between the desktop app and back to the browser so many times.

It'd be great to be able to adjust the password settings from the password field in the browser, which is very easy to do with other managers.

1Password Version: 8.9.12
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Firefox 108.0.2

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

If you just go to the website's password change dialog without doing anything in 1Password, 1Password will in most cases detect that you're about to change the password and suggest a new password directly in the webpage input fields. For many websites, 1Password detects the custom password policy of that site and will automatically suggest a proper password for that website and will offer to auto-update the 1Password item. Did you try it this way? In the password generator of the browser extension, you can define and set the default password type and length, so I guess it will use these settings for any future changes and limit the length automatically for websites that only allows shorter passwords.

Try this instead of manually generate a new password from within the 1Password app, then pasting it into the website. That's usually not required.

• McJoppy
    McJoppy
    Community Member
    Options

The problem is the automatically generated password offered by the app isn't accepted as it doesn't meet the requirements - which is why I then end up in the app (browser extension doesn't even have that ability).

There is also another issue where 1Password will update the current password with the recommended one which isn't accepted. If you are re-prompted to enter your current password again to try again, you've lost the previous password.

Things really don't feel too intuitive with the interface for me - possibly due to experiences with other products.

• Hi @McJoppy,

Thanks for sharing your use case here. You can access the password generator from the browser extension itself:

From there the Smart Password option will try to offer suggestions that meet those of the current website:

You're spot on that this doesn't always work though as it depends on the websites themselves building these rules into the page. An alternative might be using the "Random Password" type and customizing whether or not you want to include numbers and symbols. Once you're happy with the parameters you've chosen, you can ask the extension to use these to generate any future inline suggestions:

When you're inputting these passwords, you can then regenerate based on these parameters by re-focusing the field or clicking the 1Password icon. Here's an example of how this might look:

I do see your point about sometimes needing the previous password though so I've filed some feedback on your behalf about bringing that directly to the browser extension. Let me know if you give any of the above a try or have any questions! And thanks for the assist, @Tertius3, much appreciated. 😊

ref: PB-30559634

This discussion has been closed.