One-time passwords in Safari

ultrasteveg
ultrasteveg
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

One-time passwords almost always fail to fill when using Safari. I use PayPal as my test site for this, and it doesn't fill. I understand from searching other threads that the 'classic' extension used to fill that, but that the new 'for Safari' extension doesn't, but that it should still copy the OTP to the pasteboard, but it doesn't. The Firefox plugin does fill it on the same system.

Am I missing something?

1Password Version: 8.9.13
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: macOS 12.6.2
Browser:_ Safari Version 16.2 (17614.3.7.1.7, 17614)

Comments

• Hi @ultrasteveg ,

I'm sorry to hear that you're running into issues when trying to fill your one-time password. Is this happening on all sites when using Safari, or just on PayPal? Also, can you confirm if the issue persists after trying to following steps on the OTP page when it doesn't automatically fill when initially logging in:

1. Click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar.
    2. If not already selected, select the item corresponding to the page.
    3. Click the "Autofill" button to fill your OTP.

Additionally, if you're using the latest version of 1Password in your browser on any supported browser, such as Safari, you can save and fill your one-time password using the steps outlined in the following link:

I look forward to hearing from you!

• ultrasteveg
    ultrasteveg
    Community Member

Hi David. Thanks for the reply. I just tried two other sites (box.com and protonmail) - both filled correctly and automatically. On PayPal, clicking the 'Autofill' button fills the fields correctly, but doesn't automatically submit.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @ultrasteveg I tested with my own PayPal account and the OTP fills automatically for me. Are you filling the username and password via the inline menu? Can you let us know what steps you're taking one by one?

• ultrasteveg
    ultrasteveg
    Community Member

Hi @Joy_1P - thanks for replying. Doh. I feel a bit of a fool. Even though I was clicking the inline 1Password icon, it seems Safari was auto-populating the username and password fields, and thus 1Password must not be getting triggered. I just didn't realise that was the case. I removed my saved login from the OS Keychain and now if I click on the 1Password suggested login it works and fills the OTP. So part OS-hijacking, part user-error!

• Thanks for getting back to us @ultrasteveg, it's great you were able to get things working!

Let is know if there's anything else we can help with.

Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.