Login to Browser with Authenticator Only

Hello. I use my personal 1Password account to store my personal information as well as logins on my workplace computer. I have 2-factor authentication enabled using the Authy Android app. Is it possible to login to the browser extension using the authentication codes generated by Authy alone? I'd like to avoid typing my master password on my workplace computer if possible. It's an older PC without biometric (fingerprint) or face recognition.

(Firefox 108.0.2, Windows 8.1, extension version 2.5.1)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Browser:_ Firefox 108.0.2

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2023

Hey @Scott808, you can set up 2FA for your 1Password account, but your Account Password is still necessary in order to sign in. If you feel that your work device isn't safe or secure, even though your data would be encrypted via your Account Password, then I would not recommend using 1Password.

• Scott808
    Scott808
    Community Member

Hi, @Joy_1P,

Thank you for your response. Like others who have switched from LastPass, I appreciated the ability to have the LastPass app on my trusted device authenticate my browser extension. As 1Password moves toward "passwordless" logins, is there any consideration of adding a similar feature in the future?

• Mareid
    Mareid
    Community Member

This is something I'm looking for as well. I'm trying this out as a switch from LastPass and having to log in every time I bring up a new browser is really a pain. No one but me has access to my computer and I have a Yubikey. That should be sufficient security.

• Hey @Mareid, @Scott808

If you have the 1Password app installed you have some additional auto lock settings which you may find useful in terms of reducing the frequency at which your password is required or using biometrics to unlock. Here's our guide with some more information: How to set 1Password to lock automatically.

Currently there is no way to use a security key to unlock 1Password but I can understand where you are coming from so I have passed this on to our product team for consideration.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know ways in which we can improve 1Password.

ref: PB-30459078

• Scott808
    Scott808
    Community Member

Hi, @steph.giles

Thanks for the link. This doesn't quite do it for me, but I appreciate your forwarding this to 1Password's product team.

• You're welcome @Scott808, thank you for providing your feedback!

• iCodeHead
    iCodeHead
    Community Member

Thanks @steph.giles for clearing this up.
    I too am moving away from Lastpass and have been testing 1Password. So far 1Password is close in usability and in some ways better, especially for iPhones.
    Unfortunately, I have read articles from several past years, repeatedly inquiring about an Authenticator Unlock for the windows browser extension which seems to have been ignored without acknowledgement for the need nor plans to incorporate it.
    1Password has a very shiny new version 8 device app which I think works very well, so perhaps in the very near future, a simpler feature like an Authenticator Unlock for the windows browser extension will be prioritized to the front of the queue.
    Can't quite get rid of Lastpass yet!

• Hey @iCodeHead,

Thank you for providing your feedback.

I have passed all of this on to our product team for consideration. In the meantime, please let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

ref: PB31057645

• batgammon
    batgammon
    Community Member

I have also migrated from Lastpass which I had for years and found it to be an excellent product. Unfortunately it all went wrong when they got hacked and here we are. What Lastpass did really well was passwordless logins using a lastpass authenticator so when you accessed the LP browser extension a message popped up on the phone effectively authenticating and opening the extension. I cant seem to find anything similar on 1password which really suprises me bearing in mind that 1password is rated so highly. Are we ever going to see this option happening with 1password?

• Hey @batgammon,

This is not a feature we currently have but I have added your feedback for the product team to see and consider.

Do you have the 1Password desktop app installed? Having this in addition to 1Password in your browser gives you some more unlock options such as using biometrics to unlock which you my find useful.

Let me know if you have any questions, we are always looking to improve 1Password so really appreciate your feedback.

ref: PB31856358

• batgammon
    batgammon
    Community Member

Thanks. I see you've been saying the same for some years and youre probably a bot. Anyway apart from this 1password is okay.

• Hey @batgammon,

I'm sorry that it may seem that way, we take all users feedback and suggestions onboard and although we may not have implemented the exact feature you are suggesting we are always looking to simplify the way users can access their 1Password account without sacrificing security which is, and always will be, our number one priority.

Here is an exciting glimpse of what's to come and an example of how we are looking to simplify the sign in process of 1Password using passkeys: Goodbye, passwords.

Any conversation you have on our forum will be responded to by a real person which is why sometimes you may have to wait a little longer for a response. Thank you for your understanding, please let us know if you have any other questions at all!

This discussion has been closed.