Just had password change nightmare, help please?

Options
firemanjerry
firemanjerry
Community Member

Running Win 10, Chrome browswer, with Adguard app running. Coming over from Lastpass to 1Password, trying to change all my passwords, was trying to change my Bank password did as prompted by 1password and accepted change, then bank says password no good only accepts a small number of special characters. Couldn't find old password, went thru reset with bank 4 times until realizing that Adguard was causing 1password to not function/respond properly. Making a long story short, Lastpass allowed me to copy the newly generated password and submit the change to the bank BEFORE accepting the change in the password generator to make sure it was all good. Seems 1 Password generator puts the cart before the horse or am I, (a newby) doing something wrong? It took disabling Adguard and then editing my password for the bank in 1Password app to get to a password that would work for the bank with the limited amount of special characters. Would be great if I could submit the update/changes to the password before accepting the change in the 1Password password generator. Hope this makes sense to someone. In any case suggestions, other than disabling Adguard when updating passwords, which is to be routine from now on, will be greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: 8.9.12
Extension Version: 2.5.2
OS Version: Windows 10 64 bit
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    Password changes must always be made on the sites concerned. For example, on your bank's website.
    There you will see the requirements for your passwords and adapt the password generator for the 1Password extension.
    When changing, 1Password will ask if it should save your new password.
    Look here for more details : https://support.1password.com/generate-website-password/

• @firemanjerry

Even if you save a password which is not accepted by a website, you can see the previous password for that item by clicking the 🔽 down arrow on the password field of the item and choosing "View password history", like this:

There's more information about this here:

View and restore previous versions of items # View the password history of an item

That way, you can always find the previous password you were using and you won't lose access. Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help. :)

— Grey

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Using the password history is somewhat clumsy and tedious. 1Password should implement better means to only update the password if the password change on the website was actually successful. For example by detecting submitting the password change dialog and asking the user afterwards if the change was successful. And only commit the new password into the database if the user confirmed successful password update.

This discussion has been closed.