Auto-Fill not working with Windows desktop app

Options
Maze
Maze
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Windows

I recently switched from KeePass to 1Password and use the Windows desktop app.
Unfortunately, the Auto-Fill doesn't work, when hit my short cut [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [S]
I always have to select the entry in the password database first and then type [Ctrl] + [C] to copy the username and [Shift] + [Ctrl] + [C] to copy the password. This is very time consuming and was faster with KeePass Auto-Fill.

Do you have any idea how I can get the auto fill function enabled?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:auto fill shortcut windows app

Comments

• Hi @Maze, thanks for reaching out! Is there any chance that you don't currently have 1Password installed in your browser? Using the Autofill shortcut or the Open & Fill button from the desktop app works by telling the browser extension which credentials to fill. Could you try installing the extension and then test whether all works as intended?

Let us know how you get on!

• Maze
    Maze
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hi Gem,
    thanks for your quick response.
    Yes, that's correct. I don't have a browser extension installed. I thought the browser extension is only neccessary, when you don't want to use the app. Is it right, that the browser extension is always needed?

I actually wanted to work with the 1Password app and the Quick Access (without browser extension).

• Hi @Maze, thanks for getting back to me! To clarify a bit here, the desktop app is intended for situations where you'd like to view, edit, and manage your data individually or in bulk, with Quick Access providing a faster way to find, view, and edit items, and fill your credentials into other Windows apps.
    In comparison, the browser extension is designed for daily use, saving and filling your login information on websites.

We usually recommend using both alongside each other for the best user experience, as the two can integrate to share their unlock states, and this allows 1Password to stay unlocked for longer, as well as allowing you to unlock both with biometrics when Windows Hello unlock is enabled. In addition, filling-related functions within the desktop app such as the Autofill shortcut and the Open & Fill button require the extension installed in order to successfully fill your details, as they work by telling the extension which credentials to fill.

• Maze
    Maze
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

Ok, I understand. I have now installed the browser extension, but I must confess that I keep working mainly with 1Password Windows app and the Quick Access.

(Did I mention that I use several different browsers for both personal and professional use? I don't really want to install the extension everywhere, because I want to keep access to my passwords as secure and centralized as possible.)

If I have to log in to a website during the day, I always have to unlock the browser extension first, even when the 1Password app is already unlocked
    In such situations I would be faster with the quick access. But unfortunately it doesn't offer me an "Auto-Fill" as you can see in the screenshot above. Then I only can copy & paste username and password one after the other. Or have I missed something?

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

In the browser extension configuration, you can enable integration with the desktop app, so it will inherit the login and unlock from the desktop app. This way using the browser extension is really seamless. It acts as assistant in the background. Just use your browser favorites and surf to some site with a login, and when the login dialog appears, 1Password will offer the corresponding login to autofill, if the url in the browser matches some url in one of your 1Password items. You don't ever need to search or Quick Access or copy+paste. You need to search only if the urls don't match (then you need to update your item in 1Password) or if you intend to login to some desktop app, not some website in the browser.

• Maze
    Maze
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Tertius3.
    Could you please post a link to the appropriate help page for enabling integration between 1Password app and browser extension?
    I only found the point "Create your own integration with the 1Password command line tool." in the settings of the browser extension.

So in conclusion:
    It is not possible with the Quick Access to enter both (username and password) in one go via Auto-Fill or even to open the website from the 1Password app and directly enter the data via Auto-Fill?
    Do I always need the browser extension for this?

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

In the browser extension configuration, it's the last topic of the top "General" section, just above the "Security" Section.

Autofill in one go only works with the browser extension, as far as I know. The desktop app will not paste 2 fields at once. Usually, you don't need this. If the browser extension is working properly, it will seamlessly offer autofilling, as soon as you surf to any website for which you have some login in 1Password. Because of this, you don't need to use 1Password like a website favorite list. Don't search for an item in the 1Password desktop app. Instead, you just use your browser favorites in the browser. If a login dialog appears, and there is an item for that website within 1Password, you will notice 1Password will offer the corresponding credentials. You don't search explicitly, 1Password searched this for you in the background.

• Maze
    Maze
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, Tertius3.
    Thank you very much for your rapid help. :-)

Because I use several browsers at different workstations, I don't have the same bookmarks everywhere.
    This is another reason why I used to store all websites with login information centrally in the Password Safe and also access them centrally from there.

By the way, the integration between browser extension and 1Password app doesn't work. Although I had made the appropriate selection in the settings of the browser extension (see screenshot).

But I still have to unlock the browser extension separately, even though the 1Password app is already open (see screenshot 2).

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

This is the setting I was talking about. Should work with that. Difficult to say why the integration doesn't work for you. As far as I know, not every browser is supported, only a collection of widely known browsers by well known vendors. As far as I know, this is for security sake: the extension only works fully, if it's an official release of an officially supported browser that is also digitally signed by the browser vendor. This is to avoid using custom browsers where the vendor might have changed/compromised the sandbox where extensions are running in, so credentials could leak.

I was always talking about Chrome and Firefox. With these browsers integrating with the desktop app is definitely working as I wrote, since I use them myself. And it might be some security suite/virus scanner suite is blocking communication for you. I use the default Microsoft Defender on Windows 10 and 11, and with this everything is working fine.

By the way, you can also switch the desktop app to German language. It's translation is ok.

Finally, try this:
    Change to the desktop app and go to its settings->Browser and make sure the integrating with the browser is activated here as well. Activate if it wasn't and check the browser again.
    If it was already activated, uninstall the browser extension, restart the browser, then switch back to the 1Password app and click the big "Get 1Password for your browser" button. This way the newest extension for your browser should be automatically linked and you can install it again. It should pick up the desktop app login and just display your 1Password data without signing in again. At least this is how it is supposed to work in Chrome, and I just did that the other day.

This discussion has been closed.