1Password & Access in a Controlled Work Environment

timjo
timjo
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Windows

Hi Community,

I benefit from using 1Password on my personal devices and browsers. However, it is a challenge in my work environment (large multinational organisation) to access it due to IT admin constraints and policies such as:

• Only approved software can be installed on workstations
  • Unapproved software installations trigger alerts to the Helpdesk team
  • No extensions can be installed on Microsoft Edge
  • No extensions can be installed on Google Chrome

Is there a way to run 1Password on a USB stick to make its use possible on my workstation instead of viewing the item in 1Password on a mobile device and manually entering it on the workstation?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments on this scenario.

Many thanks,
Tim

1Password Version: 8.9.13
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Edge

Comments

• Hi there @timjo

If you're trying to use 1Password in an environment like that, your best bet will be to use 1Password.com in a tab in your browser.

1Password needs to be installed in a specific path, so if you can't install it to drive C:\, it won't work. You mentioned a USB stick – my suggestion would be to save your Emergency Kit to it so that you have easy access to your account details to sign in with.

In many cases like this, IT departments are keen to avoid "shadow IT" – employees using apps and services that aren't approved – so my personal advice would be to speak to your IT department to see if they can approve 1Password for your use. If they have any questions or concerns, they can come and talk to us via email at support@1password.com and we'll be happy to help out. :)

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help.

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.