1password won't let me change my bank password

ptmguelph
ptmguelph
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

On one of my bank sites, I have a weak password, so I want to change it. I go to the place on their site to do this. It asks for my current password, which I enter. Then I try to enter a new password. 1Password shows me a suggested password, so I tell it to use it. But the suggested password is not entered into the new password field. If I try to type it in myself, the field stays blank. Same if I try to Paste it in. At times, I see a "save in 1password" popup, so I click on that, but the suggested password does not get saved in 1Password either. I'm stymied - can't get 1Password to enter a new PW and it won't let me type or paste it in myself. What's going on?

1Password Version: 8.9.13
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: macOS 13.1
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:1password won't let me change my bank password

Comments

• Hey @ptmguelph,

i'm sorry for the trouble you are having changing a password.

Can you start by going to our test website and clicking into the 'New password' field here so we can see if this is a problem for you on all sites or if it is just one in particular? Here's a link to the page: https://fill.dev/form/registration-email

If things work as you'd expect on our test website, can you please send over a link to your bank website so we can do some testing and best advise?

Let us know how you get on!

• ptmguelph
    ptmguelph
    Community Member

Rather than going to your test site, I went to two other bank sites where I have an account and changed my password there. It worked OK: 1Password suggested a password, I clicked on "use", it was filled into the New Password field and I was prompted to save it in 1Password. I saved the new password in 1Password and at the bank sites, then logged out and back in successfully with 1Password filling in my credentials.
    Here is the URL for the site that is giving me problems: https://www.tangerine.ca/app/#/

• fuchsr
    fuchsr
    Community Member

I've seen this with some sites. Apparently they somehow prevent you from pasting in anything and you have to manually enter letter by letter. I'm sure they think it's a security feature and do see it for the user-unfriendly nuisance it really is.

• ptmguelph
    ptmguelph
    Community Member

I tried typing my new password in manually, but that didn’t work either.

• ptmguelph
    ptmguelph
    Community Member

Steph, I sent you the link to my bank site a few days ago. Have you had any success in seeing what's blocking me from entering a new password at this site?

• Hey @ptmguelph,

I'm sorry for the delayed response. As @fuchsr mentioned, many banking sites impose password restrictions and security measures that do little to increase user security, while ultimately making it more difficult for users to rely on password managers to fill their complex passwords.

Could you possibly send over some page details so I can file an issue with our development team for this website? As I'm unable to access the change password page without an account can you follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to the page change password page.
    2. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar.
    3. Click Help and choose Collect Page Structure.
    4. 1Password will save a .json file to your "Downloads" folder.
    5. Attach the downloaded .json file to an email addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• ptmguelph
    ptmguelph
    Community Member

I've done as you asked, Steph. The Support ID number is [#RYV-85198-885].
    I'm not sure if this will show up in the page structure info, but this bank requires passwords to be rather short (6 characters) and seems to allow only letters and numbers. Really bad security!
    One thing I have not tried yet is to disable 1Password at this site and then try to change the password, in order to see if it might be some interaction between the site and 1Password that's causing the problem. Let me know if you want me to try this.

• ag_michaelc
    edited February 2023

It looks like Paul was able to help you out over email. Don't hesitate to ask for help with anything else in the future! 🙂

ref: RYV-85198-885

This discussion has been closed.