Browser extension for (Brave, Chrome, Firefox) no longer integrates with 1Password app (no Touch ID)

RMNL
RMNL
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

As of today, my 1password extension for Brave, Chrome and Firefox no longer seems to connect to the 1Password app on my Mac.

I now need to use my password instead of Touch ID for opening the extension and when you want to add a new item or edit an old item, the browser opens an edit window in another tab instead of opening an overlay through the 1password app. I'm also not automatically logged in when the 1Password app is already open and unlocked.

I've tried to toggle both the "Integrate with 1Password app" setting in the browser as well as the "Connect with 1Password in the Browser" a couple of times, but that does not help. In Brave I reinstalled the extension as well. Again, no resolution. I can see that the 1Password helper is running in the Activity monitor.

What has happened? What am I missing? I hope someone can help me or point me in the right direction. Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.9.14 (80914009)
Extension Version: 2.6.0
OS Version: 13.1 (22C65)
Browser:_ Brave v1.47.186

Comments

• rthiker
    rthiker
    Community Member

Each browser has to individually be signed into after recent update to activate 1Password application in browser. I had the same issue after the last update which was fixed. But it has happened again. My computer operates the most recent MacOS it can have, Catalina.

1Password Version: 8.9.14
    Extension Version: 2.5.1
    OS Version: 10.15.7
    Browser:_ Firefox/Chrome
    Referrer: forum-search:After recent update, each browser needs to individually be signed in to 1Password.

• technomaz
    technomaz
    Community Member

I'm experience the same thing - Firefox on Mac. Help!

• @rthiker

Apologies for the trouble. The team is aware and working on a resolution. You should be able to unlock with your password while we investigate. Please let know if you experience otherwise.

• MikeT
    edited January 2023

Hi @rthiker,

As Tommy mentioned, we're looking into it.

For the moment, can you try the following to see if it will allow 1Password extension to unlock automatically in Chrome for you:

1. Open Finder and select the Go menu > Go To Folder on top or press Command + Shift + G
    2. Copy and paste the following line: ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts
    3. Press enter to go there. You should see a file called com.1password.1password.json, open it with your text editor
    4. On the "path": line and at the far right, you can see two MacOS folders in the path, remove one of the MacOS folder and save it. You should have this saved instead: "path": "/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Browser Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password-BrowserSupport"
    5. Restart Chrome and 1Password extension should now unlock automatically with the main 1Password app.

If that works, repeat the same for Firefox but this time in step 2, copy and paste this path: ~/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts.

Note: This workaround will last until the app or the Mac restarts; the app will rewrite the file on the first launch. A full fix is coming very soon.

I hope this helps for now. We'll get a new update out soon to fix this.

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

Same here, with 1Password 2.6.1 on Chrome Stable branch 109.0.5414.119 on macOS Ventura 13.2 (22D49), M1 chipset.

The "tied" 1Password app is the PRODUCTION branch 8.9.14 (80914009).

• MikeT
    edited January 2023

Hi folks!

We're looking into this right now.

Can you confirm that Safari is working with 1Password on your Macs?

We have a theory as to why this may be happening. Can you try this for Chrome and let us know if it helps:

1. Open Finder and select the Go menu > Go To Folder on top or press Command + Shift + G
    2. Copy and paste the following line: ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts
    3. Press enter to go there. You should see a file called com.1password.1password.json, open it with your text editor
    4. On the "path": line and at the far right, you can see two MacOS folders in the path, remove one of the MacOS folder and save it. You should have this saved instead: "path": "/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Browser Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password-BrowserSupport"
    5. Restart Chrome and 1Password extension should now unlock automatically with the main 1Password app.

If that works, repeat the same for Firefox but this time in step 2, copy and paste this path: ~/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts.

I hope this helps for now. We'll get a new update out soon to fix this.

• rthiker
    rthiker
    Community Member

By the way, the Safari browser is unaffected. I can sign in to 1Password from the menu bar or the 1Password icon in the dock and the 1Password application automatically is signed in to within the Safari browser and ready to autofill passwords.

• MikeT
    edited January 2023

That makes sense, 1Password extension for Safari communicates differently with the main 1Password app compared to the other browsers, this specific bug wouldn't affect Safari.

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,
    yes, it works perfectly on Safari extension, v2.6.1.

And yes, editing the path, it works perfectly. Checked only on Chrome browsers.

• @wizard86pz,

Thank you, that helps validates our theory and we're looking into a permanent fix for this.

• RMNL
    RMNL
    Community Member

@MikeT First of all thanks for the tip. This works for me on Chrome and Firefox. I can't find the com.1password.1password.json file for the Brave Browser. I looked at ~/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/NativeMessagingHosts/ but could not find it. Any idea where I should look?

• carrotmercinary
    carrotmercinary
    Community Member

I see the following logs in the console, it looks like the Chrome extension is looking for 1password 7, but I have the 1password 8 desktop app installed. Here are the logs:

Desktop app port disconnected. Error: Specified native messaging host not found.
    background.js:2 💫 Looking for desktop app com.1password.1password
    background.js:2 📤 Sending message to native core <3668032738>
    background.js:2 Desktop app port disconnected. Error: Specified native messaging host not found.
    background.js:2 💫 Looking for desktop app com.1password.1password7
    background.js:2 📤 Sending message to native core <1221626756>
    background.js:2 Desktop app port disconnected. Error: Specified native messaging host not found.
    background.js:2 💫 Looking for desktop app com.1password.1password
    background.js:2 📤 Sending message to native core <2185135024>
    background.js:2 💫 Looking for desktop app com.1password.1password7

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.9.14 (80914009)
    OS Version: MacOS 12.6.2
    Browser:_ Chrome
    Referrer: forum-search:Looking for desktop app com.1password.1password7

• Hi @RMNL,

I think Brave reuse the same path for Chrome, did you already restart Brave fully after fixing that path for Chrome?

I just checked on my side and 1Password does work in Brave now after fixing it for Chrome.

• RMNL
    RMNL
    Community Member

@MikeT

🤦‍♂️ That worked indeed! I did not expect that. Thanks again for the help. Good luck fixing the issue with a fix!

• Thanks for confirming and helping us with this; we're working on it as we speak.

• Just a note; this workaround will last until either the Mac restarts or the app fully terminates and restart. This is because we rewrite the file on launch.

We'll get an update out as soon as possible.

• fssbob
    fssbob
    Community Member

Prior to the 8.9.14 update, I was able to autofill in Chrome as long as the 1Password application was open on my Mac. Starting with the 8.9.14 update, I have to use the 1Password icon in the browser regardless of the computer 1Password app being open. Was this an intentional change?

1Password Version: 8.9.14
    OS Version: macOS 13.2
    Browser:_ Chrome
    Referrer: forum-search:Need to use the browser 1Password icon

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2023

@fssbob

I'm merging your topic 1 second then see the post by my colleague Mike.

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/673877/#Comment_673877

• antro31
    antro31
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Hi 1Password team,
    I recently updgraded to 8.9.14 on my mac. Since then, I noticed than browser integration does not work anymore.
    I have tried several things:

• re install 1Password app (from Website)
    • re install Chrome Extension (2.6.0) (Including re-installing it from 1Password application)
    • ensured that 1Password application integrates with browser.
    • reboot (several times)

None of these work. Browser extension and app are still not linked.
    Any idea?

Thanks,

BTW: I also checked with several other browsers (Firefox and Brave) --> Does not work either.

• @antro31

I've merged your topic. Please see the thread above your post.

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member

Experienced the same thing on Brave so I'm subscribing to find out when the new version is released.

• DJRiful
    DJRiful
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Hello, I'm experiencing the same problem with Firefox 109. It was driving me crazy, I had both 1Password app and extension removed and reinstall. It is still the same issue!

Update: I just applied the line editing, it works now. I guess this is an extension update caused this issue?

• metril
    metril
    Community Member

Applied the json edit for Chrome on MacOS. This now allows the browser extension to unlock with the MacOS app. It looks like the json file had "MacOS/MacOS" as part of the file path. I removed the extension completely and reinstalled it. So, it looks like a bug in the latest version of the browser extension.

• DJRiful
    DJRiful
    Community Member

Extension bug it is! Double directory "MacOS/".

• Don234
    Don234
    Community Member

I am having the issue using the most recent Edge version with my M2 Mac.

• eastwest
    eastwest
    Community Member

With all due respect, I moved to 1P from LP 3 weeks ago and the bugs I am seeing, and how long some have gone unfixed, has me concerned. When a company has it customers modifying json code for a password manager app i really have to question what is going on and how safe is the system. I love 1P after just 3 weeks, but I am seeing some red flags about your testing and bug smashing process.

• mannym122
    mannym122
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

I tried editing the json file but after restarting Chrome, it still prompts me for password. These are the contents of

com.1password.1password.json

{
      "name": "com.1password.1password",
      "description": "1Password BrowserSupport",
      "path": "/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Browser Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password-BrowserSupport"
      "type": "stdio",
      "allowed_origins": [
        "chrome-extension://hjlinigoblmkhjejkmbegnoaljkphmgo/",
        "chrome-extension://khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf/",
        "chrome-extension://aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/",
        "chrome-extension://dppgmdbiimibapkepcbdbmkaabgiofem/"
      ]
    }

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Nevermind, my fault. I missed the comma after the path string. All good now. Thanks guys!

• eastwest
    eastwest
    Community Member

This is my file and the fix worked. Are you missing a comma after BrowserSupport".

{
    "name": "com.1password.1password",
    "description": "1Password BrowserSupport",
    "path": "/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Browser Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password-BrowserSupport",
    "type": "stdio",
    "allowed_origins": [
    "chrome-extension://hjlinigoblmkhjejkmbegnoaljkphmgo/",
    "chrome-extension://khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf/",
    "chrome-extension://aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa/",
    "chrome-extension://dppgmdbiimibapkepcbdbmkaabgiofem/"
    ]
    }

• maxelman
    maxelman
    Community Member

Following - I'm also having this issue