Windows Hello not showing up in 1Password for Windows 8.10.0 (81000030)

Options

Already deactivated the three Hello Checkmarks in Security, ended and started 1P, activated the three checkmarks again (no Hello prompt as before here), ended and restarted 1P. Still no Hello.
Deja vu?
Regards ... Franz

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Hi there @fstorch

If you've also restarted your computer, you should try resetting Windows Hello:

Try resetting Windows Hello on your device. Go to Start menu > Settings > Accounts > “Sign-in options”.

— from Use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC # Get help

Give that a try, if you haven't already. And if you find that turning Windows Hello off and back on in 1Password, resetting Windows Hello itself, and restarting your computer don't help, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

⚠️ Don't post your diagnostics report here.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much! :)

— Grey

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

I have the same issue since the mentioned nightly. The issue just popped up. Along with this, I observed several configuration settings were reset: Many security settings (TPM use, lock settings, and ssh agent was disabled). I enabled everything again to where it was before, but 1Password doesn't access Windows Hello any more.

I rebooted, disabled Windows Hello pin with Windows, created a new Pin for Windows, rebooted again, but nothing has changed.

1Password doesn't even mention Windows Hello while it's requesting the password. Usually it says something like "You need to enter your account password before you can use Windows Hello", but this has simply changed to something like "Enter your password" (I'm using the German translation).

Along with this, the ssh agent doesn't work any more. I guess it's because Windows Hello isn't there for 1Password.

There was a monthly cumulative Windows update. Yesterday, I installed KB5022360 which was offered by Windows Update just yesterday.

I sent a diagnostics report.
    Support ID from your bot: [#HRY-33219-165]

• Hi there,

I'm also seeing the same on my Windows 11 desktop after the CU update yesterday. I've opened an issue with our team and we'll see what's going on.

• MikeT
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hi @Tertius3 and @fstorch,

For now, I recommend "upgrading" to our beta channel (download link) as it is not affected there. I can confirm it is limited to our nightly builds.

I am seeing it also on macOS, so it is not due to Windows updates at all. It's a regression in our code.

Thanks for reporting this.

• EggsAndAvo
    EggsAndAvo
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here, I've downgraded to the beta for now.

• fstorch
    fstorch
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MikeT . To downgrade to Beta, I need to completely uninstall 1PW before running the Beta Exe, right?
    1Password for Windows 8.10.0 (81000032) still has the problem.
    I actually was surprised, that I was running Nightly. I really thought I was on the Beta Channel, after the previous Hello issue.

• fstorch
    fstorch
    Community Member
    Options

Above occurred on my private Laptop.
    On my company laptop I checked the Advanced setting this morning and it was set to Beta Channel.
    Though About stated I'm having Nightly 8.10.
    So I used "Check for Updates" and 1Password for Windows 8.10.0 (81000033) was installed.
    With all the drawbacks, e.g. no Hello, settings like "Hide Sidebar" reset.
    Advanced shows that I'm on Production Channel now.
    Looks like a major issue to me.

• fstorch
    fstorch
    Community Member
    Options

Hello works, when 1P is just locked.
    Fails to come up when 1p (or Laptop) is restarted.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

With nightly 81000034 the issue is fixed. Windows Hello is working again. Thanks for the fast response!

I cannot test it again, but if the upcoming beta is resetting the security settings as nightly 81000030 did, you should probably notify the user about this, because this could change some custom user experience (all the lock and timeout settings) back to the default. Resetting existing customized settings back to the default is not expected app behavior.

• fstorch
    fstorch
    Community Member
    Options

Fixed for me as well, though I'm still wondering, why I get nightly builds when Release Channel is set to Beta?

• @fstorch

1Password will only "change lanes" from one release channel to another when a new version appears in that new channel. Since betas are released much less frequently than nightlies, you might well still get some nightly builds until a new beta is available, at which point 1Password will jump to that instead.

This isn't so obvious if you switch from Beta to Production, since they're both similarly infrequent (compared to Nightly).

If you'd like to switch to the beta straightaway, here's what to do:

1. Change release channel to Production.
    2. Completely quit 1Password by right-clicking it in the notification area > Quit.
    3. Uninstall 1Password. (note: your data won't be deleted in this step)
    4. Reinstall the Production version of 1Password.
    5. Change release channel to Beta.
    6. Accept the update and restart 1Password.

Try that if you need to change channels right now and let me know how it goes for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.