Is it possible to stop 1password from constantly logging me out

Options
himura
himura
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

TL;DR: If you know how to stop 1password from constantly logging me out, please chime in. I am not asking why 1password does it, I am simply asking if a feature exists.

The full version:
Like many others, I am migrating from LastPass. 1password at least encrypts my URLs. And like many others, I want to do it quickly and move on with my life. So let's also make one thing clear, convenient use of the password manager is AS ESSENTIAL as it being secure. LastPass failed on the latter, 1password seems to fail on the former.

My issue is simple. I keep getting logged out. I do not know why is this relevant, but I am just using the browser extension for now (it is irrelevant because this seems to be the case on all platforms, but in all posts online, this is the first question robotically asked). I have found many many posts about other people with the same frustration. The argument for the lack of this feature is to keep things secure. Sure, but I like to make my master password actually secure in itself, a long string of random characters (otherwise, what's the point of this password). If 1password makes me reenter is every 2 seconds, then I might as well not only make it is easy to remember, but shorter and easier to enter. Does this sound secure to you? No, the answer is no. I might not know about the technical details of encryption and security, but I do know that humans are lazy, and that the whole point of password managers is to magically make it secure AND convenient. If this is fundamentally impossible, then password managers are nothing but a scam in my eyes. The difference is, I would like to find out sooner than later.

I understand if this is a "feature" on phone apps (phone can get stolen), but I should at least have the option to set a trusted device (yes, blindly trusted) that does not get logged out. I think that we can all agree that if a bad actor got physical access to my secure device at my private home, then I've got other things to worry about than my passwords getting leaked. Or maybe 1password can allow me to have a convenient way to repeatedly unlock my vaults, like a hardware key.

Now, such or similar features may already exist, but at least buried in the sea or irrelevant features that 1password focus on while onboarding new users. **If such a feature exist, I would highly appreciate a passionate member of the community to point me at the right direction, preferably with clear instructions.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @himura

You can change how long 1Password in the browser stays unlocked from the Settings menu:

1. Right-click 1Password in the browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under the Security heading, adjust the settings to your liking.

If you also have the main 1Password app installed on your computer, it can share its lock state with 1Password in the browser. This means that both the app and the browser extension will lock and unlock at the same time, and work from the same timer, managed from Settings in the main 1Password app.

On your phone, the 1Password app has an auto-lock setting which allows it to stay unlocked for anywhere between 1 minute and 8 hours. You can also unlock it using biometrics if you'd like.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• himura
    himura
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I could completely turn it off.

That being said, it was too late and I've already migrated somewhere else.

Thanks @GreyM1P !

• @himura

Sorry to hear you've moved somewhere else. We'll be glad to help you transfer back to 1Password at any time, so do let us know. :)

• mjsabatini
    mjsabatini
    Community Member
    Options

Hello -- I'm encountering the same issue, and I'm converting from LastPass as well. I'm using the Mac Desktop app with Chrome Browser integration. I have auto-lock unchecked in the desktop app, and the browser security settings indicate I can manage these in the desktop app. However, I'm still being frequently logged out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

• krischik
    krischik
    Community Member
    Options

I noted the constant getting logged out as well and it did take me some time to set it all up. It's indeed quite frustrating to get logged out that quickly. However, having the option to set it up for each device is helpful. Might be a case for a quick question in the setup wizard.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @mjsabatini sorry for the delay in responding! Just to check, does the extension lock up even though the desktop app remains unlocked? How often does the extension lock up? Does it occur after your computer has been idle for a while?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hey @krischik sorry for the late reply. I am glad that you were able to configure the auto-lock settings for each device to your liking. I'll share your feedback about the setup wizard with the team here. Please let us know if you have any further feedback and let us know if you need help with anything else.

PB: 31548558

• mjsabatini
    mjsabatini
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Joy_1P, thanks for your reply. I now have a workable solution -- unlock set to Apple Watch, and Auto-Lock unchecked with "lock after" set to never. To answer your question -- when it was frequently locking, both the extension and desktop would reflect the same locked status. And, it seemed to happen very frequently -- if I was away for a few minutes, and my monitors were put to sleep, both the extension and desktop app were locked upon return.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mjsabatini thanks for your response! I asked to see if the extension and app were communicating properly. Sometimes they don't and that can cause a problem. It doesn't seem to be your case though.

I'm glad that you were able to adjust your auto-lock settings and that you are able to use your Apple Watch for that as well. It does sound like things are going well. That said, if you have any questions or run into any trouble, please let us know. We're always happy to help.

This discussion has been closed.