"Press the 1password icon in your browser toolbar to unlock" & Lost Touch ID functionality.

Options
kinwolf
kinwolf
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi, I've been using 1password on both PC and Mac with firefox, and I've always been able to unlock 1password by clicking the icon in a password field. But suddenly(like, 3 days ago) I cannot anymore on the Mac(I haven't verified on Windows for the moment, I'm on the road only with the Macbook) I now get a message that I need to "Press the 1password icon in your browser toolbar to unlock" .

Furthermore, pressing the button in the toolbar now always prompt me for the password instead of using the MacOS Touch ID. I cheked in 1password settings and the setting to use Touch ID is still activated, but the extension seems to ignore it now.

Any ideas about those 2 lost of functionalities?

1Password Version: 8.9.14
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: MACOS 13.1
Browser:_ Firefox 109.0

Comments

• pscottetc
    pscottetc
    Community Member
    Options

I'm experiencing a similar issue. In addition, unlocking the desktop app doesn't unlock the browser extension(s) of the app, and if using different browsers, each browser extension has to be unlocked separately. Also experienced this within the last few days. Initially I thought it might be a Ventura 13.3 issue, but my work Macbook is still on Monterey, and the same issues occur there.

• Hi there @kinwolf

There does seem to be an issue with 1Password for Mac 8.9.14 when used with browsers other than Safari. Our development team are working to get this solved as soon as possible. In the meantime, you can use the Beta version of 1Password for Mac, which doesn't have this issue. Here's what to do:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Click the 1Password menu (next to the  Apple menu) > Settings...
    3. On the Advanced tab, change the "Release channel" to Beta.
    4. After a minute or two, you'll be offered an update in a notification at the bottom of the 1Password window. Click "Restart Now" to apply it.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let me know how you get on with the beta, or if you have any other questions.

— Grey

• kinwolf
    kinwolf
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks, I shifted to the beta channel, waited 10 mins or so, but still no popup to update. I also clicked "check update" in the about screen, but it still says I am on the latest version of the "production" channel. Weird. I fully closed(cmd-q) and re-opened 1password, no change. I'll check later, time to start work :P

• kinwolf
    kinwolf
    Community Member
    Options

2 hours later, I can confirm 1password is not updating after making the change to the beta channel. It stays stuck on Production channel according to the About screen.

• GavinAsh
    GavinAsh
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also running into this issue as of a day or two ago, using Arc browser (chrome). Super frustrating!

• @GavinAsh, @pscottetc, and @kinwolf

Our developers have released a fix for the issue in the latest version of 1Password, can you please update to version 8.9.15: How to keep 1Password up to date

Note: if you've moved over to the beta release channel please switch back to production before trying to update.

After updating please restart your Mac. Let me know if you still see the same issue. 🙂

-Dave

• kinwolf
    kinwolf
    Community Member
    Options

Works like a charm once more!

• pscottetc
    pscottetc
    Community Member
    Options

Marvellous! Much better now... thank you.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

I just updated it to 8.9.15. and now unlocking the app also unlocks the extension in Chrome. Thanks. Still waiting for the next locking so I can see if the extension lets me unlock using my fingerprint (touch id).

• GavinAsh
    GavinAsh
    Community Member
    Options

All fixed for me! Thanks :)

• Thanks for the update folks. If anyone continues to have trouble after the update please let us know.

• denai
    denai
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

I experience this issue for more than one week now.

A couple of hours ago I moved to beta release channel, waited for update restarted and decided to wait a couple of hours to make sure it is not fixed .

The problem still exists.

Chrome 112.0.5615.137
    Mac OS 13.3.1 (a) (22E772610a)
    1Password for Mac 8.10.6 (81006010)
    1Password Chrome extension 2.10.0

• mattfysh
    mattfysh
    Community Member
    Options

This has been occurring for me also, on Mac with Chrome. Along with a whole host of other issues:

• When filling in a password for a new account, I get the "Use suggested password" dropdown but when I click on it, nothing happens
    • So then I open the extension from the browser toolbar and see a generated password there, but when I click "Copy" it says "Unable to save generated password"
    • So I manually copy the password from the extension UI and paste it in to finish signing up (to this forum in fact), but when I submit the form to create my account, I'm no longer offered the option to save a new login
    • I log out and login again, hoping it will offer to save the login on the next login event, but again nothing is offered where it used to

If I open the chrome extension and choose to edit a login, it opens the editable form in the 1password app, but when I make changes and save, the changes are not reflected in the extension. I have to disable and re-enable the extension to force a sync

These issues have been snowballing in recent months, after years of seamless use. I've also noticed threads on twitter and reddit about how buggy 1password has become - surely you must understand this erodes trust, and as a password manager you can't afford to lose trust with your users

• ag_tommy
    Options

@denai

Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question.

Include the following:

Your user name here in the forum. denai
    A link to this topic. https://1password.community/discussion/comment/685195/#Comment_685195

This will help us connect the dots as they say.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@mattfysh

Odd, somethings not right for sure. Lets get you to my colleagues in email support who can look into this in more detail. Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question.

Include the following:

Your user name here in the forum. mattfysh
    A link to this topic. https://1password.community/discussion/comment/685318/#Comment_685318

Please also be kind enough to share the version of Chrome, 1Password and 1Password in the browser in use.

This will help us connect the dots as they say.

• gjgoods
    gjgoods
    Community Member
    Options

I just started having the same isssue after the update. With 1password open, clicking on the taskbar icon I have to enter the full password. Without closing Safari if I go to another website it again requires the password. I had to reinstall the Safari extension as it disappeared.
    Safari 16.4.1, 1password 8.10.6

• Hi @gjgoods, thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some trouble. Can you reproduce the issue and send over some diagnostics from your device, so we can take a closer look and assist you further? Include the following:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread and your username.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here.

I look forward to hearing from you!

• denai
    denai
    Community Member
    Options

And again I experience this with "1Password – Password Manager 2.14.1"

• @denai

I'm sorry that you're still seeing the issue. Did you send an email to our support team as requested by my colleague Tommy in a previous post: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/685371/#Comment_685371

If you did then can you post the Support ID of that conversation?

-Dave

• denai
    denai
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I was able to resolve it last time and didn't have this problem for several months. And just had it again (always on latest versions of everything). I exited 1password and chrome and relaunched it again as suggested somewhere else and it seemd to fix the problem until next time.

It would be more convenient if 1password detected this situation and offered to do these steps without having to google it. Like it forces to restart browser when there is chrome update.

• I'm glad to hear things are working once again. We don't force updates as that might cause someone to lose work for example.

• amityweb
    amityweb
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Sorry to raise this old thread, but is this issue supposed to be fixed? For quite some time now this issue has existed for me and its really annoying, my workflow has got worse, as my old habits of trying to unlock in the website form happens first and I forget I have to do it in the 1Password browser plugin icon. So its just a real pain to have this issue and make my logins worse. I also sometimes have issues logging in, like it takes a while to unlock now, dont know if its related.

I am on:

• 1Password for Mac 8.10.15 (81015001). It says there are no more updates.
    • 1Password in the browser 2.14.1, 21400102, on STABLE channel
    • Browser is Chrome, latest version as of posting Version 117.0.5938.62 (Official Build) (x86_64)
    • Mac Ventura 13.5.2 (22G91)

My browser and computer have been restarted many many times during this issue, and this week, so that does not fix it for me like it did for @denai

Thanks

EDIT: Actually forget all that :). As soon as I posted this I had an idea from another post about it to remove the 1Password Chrome extension from chrome and re-install it, and lo and behold it is now allowing me to unlock 1Password in the login fields itself as before! I can see the version has gone up. Does the extension not auto-update?

• 1Password in the browser 2.15.0, 21500002, on STABLE channel
  • amityweb
    amityweb
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

I spoke to soon, this problem just came back. I had not even restarted Chrome after it worked just now. I have since restarted Chrome but it has not worked.

So this issue still persists.

Edit: Could it be related to having 1Password icon in the Menu? I had disabled that some time ago as I never use it. I just re-enabled it and now I can login on forms again. I dont know if thats a temporary thing like earlier. Will post back if this does not work.

• Hey @amityweb,

I'm sorry for the delayed reply!

Enabling "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" makes it so that the 1Password desktop app will remain open in the background after closing the main window for it. Without this setting enabled, the desktop app will quit when you close the window. This can cause problems whereby the extension has a hard time connecting with the 1Password desktop app. If you prefer to leave the option disabled, you may need to keep the 1Password for Mac (desktop app) window open.

We are tracking this issue internally to see if we can improve the behaviour of 1Password when the "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" option is disabled, I'm sorry that his isn't ideal.

As for updates, yes, 1Password in your browser should update automatically. Here is our guide to check you have this set up correctly: How to keep 1Password up to date in your browser.

I hope this helps!

ref: dev/core/core#22007

• amityweb
    amityweb
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Since re-enabling 1Password in the menu bar, I no longer have the issue, and it is now working as I expect it.

So yes it does look like that 1Password in the menu bar is needed for the browser plugin to operate effectively then.

Thanks

• Thanks for the update @amityweb.

I have added you to the internal issue, let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

• ersan191
    ersan191
    Community Member
    Options

Having the same issue when I disable "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" and Brave Browser, for what it's worth.

I'm fine just enabling it again for now.

• Thanks for letting us know that this has been affecting you as well @ersan191!

I've shared your experience with our development team while they look to see if any improvements can be made. Let us know if we can assist you with anything else.

• eegore
    eegore
    Community Member
    Options

Had the same issue the day after I changed my master password (not sure if that is related, but figured I'd point it out as a piece of data), and noticed that on uninstalling the plugin / reinstalling the plugin, it was having trouble communicating with the desktop app in the walkthrough of the plugin install, so rebooted my computer to reset the state of the app, and now it works. (everything was fully updated before the uninstall of the plugin too fyi).

• Dave_1P
    Options

@eegore

Thank you for sharing your experience, I'm happy that a restart got things working again for you.

For everyone else in the thread, we've made some improvements to how 1Password unlocks if the desktop app's menu bar icon is turned off:

1Password for Mac now launches properly when unlocking from the browser extension with the menu bar setting disabled

Please update to the latest versions of both 1Password for Mac and 1Password in the browser:

If anyone is still running into issues then please let me know.

-Dave