Password saves in 1Password BEFORE being accepted by website

Options
sdo815
sdo815
Community Member

The password suggested by the generator saves (and overwrites existing password) in my vault BEFORE the website accepts it. If the website then rejects the password, I have no way of re-entering the old password so that I can reset it according to the website criteria. I wish 1Password would generate a new password according to the particular website specifications and then overwrite the old password only AFTER the new one was accepted and recorded by the website.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Password saves in 1Password BEFORE being accepted by website

Comments

• 1passworduser123
    1passworduser123
    Community Member
    Options

I've found this a few times, but it's often the case that the websites don't even tell the user what the password requirements are, so it's entirely possible there's nothing behind the scenes that 1password can pull to know what the password needs to be made up of.

My only suggestion (I'm not staff) is to have both apps open split-screen, so you can more easily recreate a new password for that website/application and keep pasting into the website/application' password field(s) from 1password.

• ag_audrey
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hey @sdo815, thanks so much for connecting with us! Really appreciate your chiming in here, @1passworduser123!

To make sure your newly generated passwords are saved and that you don't get locked out, we strongly recommend that you save your passwords in 1Password first.

If the website rejects the newly generated password, you can view the password history in 1Password for Android to find the previous password:
    1. Select the item, then tap the password and choose “View password history”.
    2. Tap one of the passwords and choose Reveal to see the previously used password:
    3. Tap the password you want, and choose Copy to copy it to your clipboard.
    4. Paste it back into the website's change password flow.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

• sdo815
    sdo815
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Audrey - got it!

• You're very welcome, @sdo815!

This discussion has been closed.