1Password should remember which password recipe I used on a per-Login basis

joewiz
joewiz
Community Member
edited January 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Many websites have different password requirements - length, characters, etc. Once I manage to dial in the correct recipe for a particular account, I would love to save this "recipe" information with the item, so that the next time I change a password for a particular Login, it uses the previous recipe.

The problem with the current behavior in 1Password is that every time I change the password recipe on ANY account, this changes the recipe for ALL accounts. So I find myself repeatedly re-dialing in recipes when I change passwords for different accounts.

It seems this change shouldn't be too complex, since 1Password knows what recipe I use when I'm creating a password. Perhaps 1Password could just save this and make this "last used recipe for this Login" an option (or, IMHO, the new default).

Thanks for considering this! The forthcoming changes described at https://blog.1password.com/better-more-useful-1password/ sound amazing, and it's clear from that that the developers are really listening to ideas for quality of life improvements. This would be a big one for me.

1Password Version: 8.9.15
Extension Version: 2.5.2
OS Version: macOS 13.2
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hey @joewiz,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know ways in which you feel we can improve 1Password.

The default setting when 1Password suggests a password is to use 'Smart passwords'. This means that 1Password will try to suggest a password that meets the requirements of the website you are already on. I understand that this isn't always the case as websites change overtime and requirements become more and more complex hence the ability to amend this in the password generator.

If you come across a website where 1Password is not suggesting a password that meets the requirements it would be really great if you could send these our way so we can pass it on to our developers who can make future improvements.

Can you let me know if you think this would be helpful in achieving the behaviour you are after? Of course I would still be willing to pass on your feedback to our product team for consideration. Can you provide me with an example of a website where you have previously had to change the suggested password where your suggested feature would be useful?

Thank you!

• joewiz
    joewiz
    Community Member

Hi Steph,

Thanks so much for your reply. I wasn't aware of the "Smart passwords" feature. I'll be sure make a note of when the suggested value isn't right and I have to override it and which site 1Password has a problem on, and I'll pass this info to the support team.

One somewhat related issue is the problem of recording "security questions." I like to use 1Password to generate my answers to security questions, but I like to store these questions and answers in the note of the actual login item, rather than in their own separate password items. Since I may need to read these answers back to a company's customer support, I like to use "memorable" passwords that I can read out loud, rather than totally random characters. So I use random characters for the main passwords but then immediately after need a way to generate memorable passwords and store these along with their questions and associate them with the main login item. Do you or anyone have a recommended workflow for generating and storing these security question answers?

Perhaps this deserves a separate thread, but I think it's somewhat related because the workflow involves generating multiple "passwords" for the same site but with different recipes.

Joe

• Hey @joewiz,

Thank you for getting back to me.

We have a guide on how to use 1Password to fill security questions which you may find useful: Create unique answers to security questions.

Let us know if you have any questions!

• joewiz
    joewiz
    Community Member

Hi Steph,

Wow! That's fantastic. I never knew about this feature. I will be making... extensive use of it!

Joe

• @joewiz, I'm glad to hear it 😁

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.