Linking Business and Family Account

rfang
rfang
Community Member

Hi, my company just switch over to 1Password Business yay! Since it comes with a free family membership I would like to take advantage of it by linking my family account with it. However, the linking process appears to required user to log into their personal account from their company computer. This is a big No NO for me because many company do screen recordings and store all keystrokes made on the computers. Signing into company account on personal devices is also a violation of many company policies. I do not want to combine work and personal things together either. Is there a better way to link the business and family account to take advantage of the free membership without these troubles?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @rfang, glad to hear you're now able to make use of the free 1Password Families membership perk. 🎉

However, the linking process appears to required user to log into their personal account from their company computer. This is a big No NO for me because many company do screen recordings and store all keystrokes made on the computers.

The only way to link your existing family account to your business account is to sign in to both accounts in the same web browser. There are a couple of options if you're concerned and if you don't want to enter your own family account sign-in details on the same device as your business account:

Option 1: Change your account password for your family account to mirror your business account (temporarily). Go through the linking process and then change your account and remove your family account from your work device. Finally, regenerate your Secret Key for your family account on your personal device (be sure to save a new Emergency Kit PDF when you're done.

Option 2: If allowed by your company (it sounds like this isn't possible from what you've written, though I thought I should include it in case mobile devices are exempt) sign in to your business account in the browser of your mobile device. Follow the steps on that device to link your family account to your business account.

I do not want to combine work and personal things together either.

The only connection between your family and business accounts will be the subscription status. Your family account and its users, vaults, and items will not be available to the business in any capacity. If you ever leave your company you'll retain fully control of your family account, allowing you to start your own subscription.

This discussion has been closed.