LastPass to 1Password switch - Frustrations galore!!!!

dbeezley
dbeezley
Community Member

I'm sure my problem is here somewhere as I've seen others from LPass to 1Pass having trouble. But I have had so much trouble using 1Pass to sign up for this bulletin board I'm too frustrated to look around. You would think that the 1Pass interface with this Board would work flawlessly. Nope.

One matter is the extra steps it takes to get a generated password. Another matter is an inconsistent presentation from one site to another.

But let me focus on this one. I signed up for a family account for me and my wife. Paid $60. I'm an organizer and it seems that my login to the family account and my personal account are the same. I thought I'd be "pretty" and add a name and photo of the two of us for the Family. Then, on my wife's computer. it shows up with the name and photo of the family account. I thought that was odd so I tried to sort it out. I discovered that if I log in with MY credentials or my wife's credentials, it doesn't show who is logged in. We use each other's computers sometimes. Seems a good thing to be able to see who is logged into 1Password.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac 13.2
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:Family account how to identify user

Comments

• Hi there @dbeezley

If you paid $60, that would suggest you've paid for a year of 1Password Families, so there will only be one account – the 1Password Families account, of which both you and your wife are users.

You'll have your own account details (email address, Secret Key, account password) to sign in to your family account, and so will your wife.

The chooser in the top-left corner is the "account and collection chooser" – it shows the account name, rather than the name of who's signed in. This is because you might be a member of more than one account, and if it just said your name next to each of them, you'd have no way to distinguish which account is which (the opposite problem to what you report). Here's mine, for example:

AgileBits is my work account. Grey's Family Account is, well, my 1Password Families account. And Wendy Appleseed is my testing account.

If they all said "Grey", it could be very confusing indeed!

You said you use each other's computers sometimes. If that's very rarely, I'd suggest signing in to 1Password.com temporarily instead of trying to switch users in the main 1Password app. If it's something you do quite a bit, it's worth making another user account on those computers so that the other family member can sign in to 1Password there. On a Mac, you can do this through  Apple menu > System Settings... > Users & Groups.

To double-check which family member is signed in, hover the mouse pointer over the account icon on the lock screen where you enter your account password, or choose the 🔽 down arrow next to your account name, then Set Up Another Device... – the Account Details tab in the pop-up will show you which email address is currently being used.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• dbeezley
    dbeezley
    Community Member

Thanks. Clear response. Getting used to it. Still some frustrations. I'll try to add a more specific question here. Doug

• Sounds good dbeezley We'll be here to help. You'll find the community members are welcoming. We've all been there at sometime or another. Mine started 15 years ago and believe it or not I still remember the first time I came in here. Ah, those great memories. We hope to have you with us for a very long time. Ask anything you wish. We'll do our best to find you the answers.

btw Happy soon to be weekend!

This discussion has been closed.