1Password was unable to complete installation - Windows 10

Options
JoeRobens
JoeRobens
Community Member

Error message with new installation - Windows 10:
"1Password was unable to complete installation and will roll back any changes."

I have searched this community but cannot find a fix for my situation.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Edge
Referrer: forum-search:1password was unable to complete installation

Comments

• beirne
    beirne
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem on the same OS. This is a fresh install on a new PC. I can install other programs.

• Hello @JoeRobens and @beirne,

I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you've both been experiencing with the installation of 1Password 8 for Windows. I'm happy to assist.

The biggest reason we see this issue is due to 1Password being blocked by another program like Anti-Virus or Anti-Malware Software, such as Norton, McAfee, MalwareBytes, etc. Sometimes a pending Windows 10 update can also cause issues.

Could you try restarting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking Enabled and then try installing 1Password again to see if this helps with this behaviour?

If this helped, as a next step, you can try excluding the entire 1Password folder and the 1Password.exe in any security software you have running and then rebooting your device. This should help with future updates. The 1Password directory can be found here - %localappdata%\1Password and the 1Password.exe is here: %localappdata%\1Password\App\8.

If you run into any other troubles or these steps did not help, please let us know so we can investigate further. Thanks!

• JoeRobens
    JoeRobens
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks ag_mike_d.
    Same behavior in Safe Mode with Networking.

• beirne
    beirne
    Community Member
    Options

I've moved to a new computer since then and it doesn't install on the new computer either. I wrote to support and they gave me the same advice, but unfortunately I'm not at liberty to go into safe mode and try those steps on the new computer.

• ag_mike_d
    edited February 2023
    Options

Good morning @JoeRobens,

I'm sorry for the continued troubles with the installation of 1Password 8 for Windows. As a next step, I would suggest trying to temporarily disable any antivirus/antimalware software, restarting your machine, then attempting to install 1Password 8 again.

If the troubles persist, I'd like to ask you to send us some 1Password logs from your Windows device. Here's how to do that:
    1. In the Windows search bar copy and paste the following and press enter: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\logs\
    1. Select everything in this folder, and then right-click and choose Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.
    1. Then, attach that zip file to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

@beirne - could you please try the same steps noted above with any antivirus/antimalware software and reboot your device before trying to reinstall 1Password 8? If you're still having troubles we'd like to you continue the conversation you mentioned with with our support team through the email you mentioned. Thanks!

• beirne
    beirne
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

@ag_mike_d For policy reasons I'm not able to disable the AV software on this computer. I've sent the logs up to 1Password support and they think the AV software is blocking it. They suggested just installing the extension instead, which I did and this should take care of most use cases on this computer.

• Hello again @beirne,

I appreciate the quick reply and update here. It's great to hear that 1Password in the browser will be helpful for this device in this situation were policy is preventing you from disabling the AV software.

Thanks and have a great day!

• BurkhardZEISS
    BurkhardZEISS
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any solution. I want to use 1Password Windows Applications in company environment. But I can't disable AV because of company policies.

I'm just surprised that the installation works for some clients and not for others. Although the same AV solution is installed.
    Moreover, there is no entry in the event log of the AV solution that proves the blocking of the installation or any files.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @BurkhardZEISS! I'm sorry to hear that you're running into trouble installing 1Password in a company environment.

Are you able to test things out in Safe Mode, to see if the installation is able to go through there? This can help us to figure out whether something else on the device is interfering.

Alternately, are you allowed to request exclusions, rather than disabling the antivirus completely? If so, we usually recommend excluding both the below folder and file from antivirus scans, and then restarting before trying the installation again:

1. The entire installation folder, %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password - full path: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\1Password\ where Username is replaced with your Windows username.

2. The exe file, 1Password.exe, found at: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\1Password\app\8\1Password.exe where Username is replaced with your Windows username.

I look forward to hearing from you!

• BurkhardZEISS
    BurkhardZEISS
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, but these are the same questions that you have already asked everyone else and yet there is no solution to the problem.
    But I like to repeat again everything that is here in the corresponding post:

• It is not possible to install in safe mode. These are company devices where this is not allowed.
    • Deactivating the antivirus solution or defining exceptions is also not possible due to company security policies (I am squirming that this should be a solution approach, because there are company devices with the same AV solution where the installation works without problems).

Too bad, in the current version 1Password is unfortunately not usable in our company context.
    While it is technically possible to use it via browser, it unfortunately does not allow you to make a local backup of the password database. And relying only on a 3rd party cloud service for such a mission critical application is not advisable.

By the way here is my installation log:

INFO 2023-06-16T13:02:25.071 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:597] Setup logs path set to : C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\logs\setup
    INFO 2023-06-16T13:02:25.094 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-localization\src\lib.rs:227] system locale detected as 'en-DE'
    INFO 2023-06-16T13:02:25.094 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-localization\src\lib.rs:242] en-DE isn't directly supported; falling back to en
    INFO 2023-06-16T13:02:25.094 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-localization\src\lib.rs:253] selected translations for EN_US based on detected locale en
    INFO 2023-06-16T13:02:26.419 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:514] Starting fresh install to 81007041
    INFO 2023-06-16T13:02:26.646 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:281] Copying files to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\update
    INFO 2023-06-16T13:02:26.648 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:73] copying files to: C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\update\8
    INFO 2023-06-16T13:02:28.935 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:285] Renaming C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    INFO 2023-06-16T13:02:28.935 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:130] renaming C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    INFO 2023-06-16T13:02:29.112 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:172] renaming C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    INFO 2023-06-16T13:02:29.113 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:289] Renaming C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\update to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app
    INFO 2023-06-16T13:02:29.113 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:172] renaming C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\update to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app
    ERROR 2023-06-16T13:02:29.115 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:59] failed to rollback rename of C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\previous. Error: Os { code: 2, kind: NotFound, message: "The system cannot find the file specified." }
    ERROR 2023-06-16T13:02:29.489 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:162] failed to move app files. Error: Io(PermissionDenied)
    INFO 2023-06-16T13:02:32.770 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:359] starting C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app\8\1Password.exe
    ERROR 2023-06-16T13:02:32.773 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:194] Failed to start previous app. Error: Os { code: 3, kind: NotFound, message: "The system cannot find the path specified." }
    ERROR 2023-06-16T13:02:32.773 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:foundation\op-windows\src\windows\controls\window_class.rs:244] Class still has open windows.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @BurkhardZEISS, thanks for your response! I'm sorry to hear that using the extension in a standalone manner doesn't work for your needs, and we do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

The PermissionDenied error in your logs, as well as failures to rename and move app files, does indicate interference from security software. It's interesting that some company devices with the same security software aren't having any issues - I'm not entirely sure why this might be. I would be curious to know whether there are any differences in security settings or permissions between the devices where it works, and those where it doesn't.

As discussing this may involve going into device specifics, if you'd like for us to dig into this further with you, could you email in to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread and your forum username? Thanks!

• paulcsiki
    paulcsiki
    Community Member
    Options

Can confirm that in my case it was ESET Internet Security interfering with the update.

• @paulcsiki - thanks for letting us know that ESET was causing the disturbance here. 👍

Were you able to follow the previous advice to exclude the 1Password.exe in ESET Internet Security? If not, this should help with future 1Password updates. The .exe can be found here in this folder: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\1Password\app\8\

Let us know if you run in to any other troubles.

• paulcsiki
    paulcsiki
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d I haven't tried that as it's the first update where ESET interferes with. I will do it if it happens again.

• Thanks, @paulcsiki! Let us know if you have any other questions.

• paulcsiki
    paulcsiki
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d Can confirm that adding the exclusion did the trick.

• Great news, @paulcsiki! Thanks you for letting us know. 👍

• BurkhardZEISS
    BurkhardZEISS
    Community Member
    Options

Somehow the virus scanner at the whole directory renaming seems to be interfering with your specific update process. Can't you just send me the EXE file or provide it for the initial installation? Or do not use the entire directory renaming during the installation routine?

• mgeiger
    mgeiger
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also no longer able to reboot to Safe mode for this workaround. I hope a solution can be found, I really prefer 1password to my previous password manager, but if it won't update then I can't keep using it.

• Hey @mgeiger, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues updating 1Password. If you're using antivirus software, could you try adding the following directories to your whitelist:

• %LocalAppData%\1Password\Update
    • %LocalAppData%\1Password\Previous

Let me know how that goes.

Ali

• jorgenpt
    jorgenpt
    Community Member
    Options

I was hitting this same problem, both when updating 1Password, and when trying to reinstall it. This is on Windows 11.

The fix for me was to add a Microsoft Defender exclusions for %localappdata%\1Password. Here's the installation log for a failing attempt:

INFO 2024-01-25T19:34:27.762 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:621] Setup logs path set to : C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\logs\setup
    INFO 2024-01-25T19:34:27.768 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:78] executing C:\Users\$USER\Downloads\1PasswordSetup-latest.exe, build 81024044
    INFO 2024-01-25T19:34:27.768 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-localization\src\lib.rs:239] system locale detected as 'en-US'
    INFO 2024-01-25T19:34:27.768 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-localization\src\lib.rs:265] selected translations for EN_US based on detected locale en-US
    INFO 2024-01-25T19:34:28.719 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:536] Starting fresh install to 81024044
    INFO 2024-01-25T19:34:28.910 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:302] Copying files to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\update
    INFO 2024-01-25T19:34:28.910 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:71] copying files to: C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\update\8
    INFO 2024-01-25T19:34:30.387 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:306] Renaming C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    INFO 2024-01-25T19:34:30.387 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:128] renaming C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    INFO 2024-01-25T19:34:30.550 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:171] renaming C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    INFO 2024-01-25T19:34:30.550 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:310] Renaming C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\update to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app
    INFO 2024-01-25T19:34:30.551 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:171] renaming C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\update to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app
    ERROR 2024-01-25T19:34:30.552 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:57] failed to rollback rename of C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\previous. Error: Os { code: 2, kind: NotFound, message: "The system cannot find the file specified." }
    ERROR 2024-01-25T19:34:30.554 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\transaction.rs:51] failed to rollback update folder creation: C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\update. Error: Os { code: 32, kind: Uncategorized, message: "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." }
    ERROR 2024-01-25T19:34:30.554 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:183] failed to move app files. Error: Io(PermissionDenied)
    INFO 2024-01-25T19:36:43.276 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:374] starting C:\Users\$USER\AppData\Local\1Password\app\8\1Password.exe
    ERROR 2024-01-25T19:36:43.276 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:215] Failed to start previous app. Error: Os { code: 3, kind: NotFound, message: "The system cannot find the path specified." }
    ERROR 2024-01-25T19:36:43.276 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:foundation\op-windows\src\windows\controls\window_class.rs:248] Windows Error Win32(0x00000584): Class still has open windows.

• Hello @jorgenpt,

Thanks for your feedback here. I'm happy to hear that the steps to exclude 1Password in MS Defender helped.

For others running in to similar issues with security software installed, you can refer to software developer's support pages for steps to exclude applications from scans. I've also included some more details here to help:

Have a great day!

• jorgenpt
    jorgenpt
    Community Member
    Options

I know JetBrains Rider has an option to add things to the Defender exclusion — maybe it would be helpful for the 1Password updater and installed to do the same? This is just the bog standard microsoft defender on windows 11, so it seems likely that this would be affecting a number of people. (Or figure out why Defender is failing — see if there’s a way to wait until it’s done working with the files or something along those lines?)

• Hello again @jorgenpt,

This behaviour can also be corrected with anti-virus updates getting the latest signatures. For example, we've seen very brief troubles, in the past after a 1Password update is released. We've recently seen some new updates sent out January 23/24, 2024:

We appreciate the additional feedback here. I'll pass it along!