Okta is killing 1Password

There have been some issues reported previously with the 1Password extension in Chrome not playing nicely with Okta. I just started experiencing something similar: When I go to sign in to an Okta-based site (it doesn't seem to matter which one), the 1Password injection stops working, and there is no 1Password icon in either the username or password input boxes. Once the problem has occurred with Okta, it affects ALL other sites as well. I can fix it by first closing down all Okta-related tabs in the browser, then stopping and restarting the 1Password Password Manager extension. It stays fixed until I once again visit an Okta site, whereupon it usually works once, then dies.

This appears to be something that just started happening within the last day or two. I have been using Okta regularly for the past couple of years, and this is the first time I've seen this behavior. I didn't see it Monday, which is the last time I used Okta extensively. (I develop web apps, and have been working on Okta integration with one of them recently.)

I don't normally use Firefox, but I did a little bit of testing with it, and so far the problem has not occurred there.

1Password Version: 8.9.13
Extension Version: 2.6.0
OS Version: Windows 10 21H2
Browser:_ Chrome 109.0.5414.120
Referrer: forum-search:okta password manager

Comments

• SteveOH
    SteveOH
    Community Member

Further info: Here is what the Chrome Dev Tools console looks like when 1Password is misbehaving:

• Hey @SteveOH. I'm sorry about the trouble you're experiencing here — or were, at least. Is this still happening for you? Is there an exact set of steps that causes this issue to happen each and every time?

• SteveOH
    SteveOH
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

Yes, @ag_michaelc, it's still happening consistently. But I did determine another crucial bit of information: It's actually not related to Okta, but rather to whether or not the Chrome dev tools pane is open (it just happened that since I've been working on some Okta-related code, it was only on Okta pages that I had the dev tools open). It looks like there is some debug code in the Password Manager extension that is triggered when the dev tools pane is open, and that the failure is happening somewhere in that.

Steps:

1. With Password Manager 2.6.0 installed in Chrome, open a new tab.
    2. Navigate to any web site for which you have a saved login.
    3. Click on the 1Password icon in the username input box. Your saved login should show up as a choice, of course.
    4. Open dev tools on the tab (right-click/Inspect or ctrl-shift-C).
    5. Click on the Console header in the dev tools pane.
    6. Once again, click on the 1Password icon in the username input box. Your saved login may appear, but it may not. In any case, a whole bunch of messages are posted to the console pane.
    7. Now click away to another spot on the page, and back to the input box. Even if the saved login appeared in step 7, it won't any more.

At this point Password Manager is dead. It won't work on this page, and it won't work on any other site, either, until you go to the Extensions Manager and turn it off and then back on again.

I've confirmed that the problem does not occur in either Firefox or Edge, even when their respective dev tools panes are open.

• Hey @SteveOH,

Thank you for getting back to us with these detailed steps. I'm having a hard time reproducing the issue so could you possibly reproduce it and send over a console log so we can pass it on to the team to investigate further? Please attach the console log to an email addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread and our team can then file an issue to be looked into.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• SteveOH
    SteveOH
    Community Member

@steph.giles Sorry for the delay; things have been hectic here. I've sent the console log to the support email; the ID is [#NHP-92771-841].

Reproduction is straightforward:

• Open a new Chrome window.
    • Navigate to https://amazon.com/.
    • Open dev tools. Go to the Console tab.
    • Click the Sign In button.
    • At this point, you'll see the various 1Password messages in the console, and the Password Manager is dead.

I can see this behavior on two different Windows 10 computers, both with the latest OS, Chrome, and 1Password installed.

• jmag999
    jmag999
    Community Member

I am also seeing this same issue. I am using Brave.

• Hey @jmag999,

I'm sorry for the trouble, could you please also send over some logs so we can take a closer look at what may be going wrong?

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.