Unable to unlock browser extension

Options

Works fine on Chrome on same PC.
Looks like there is an updated version of the extension, but I don't know how to get it to update. (FF Extension manager says no updates found)

1Password Version: 2.6.0
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro 22H2 22621.1105
Browser:_ Firefox 109.0.1
Referrer: forum-search:unable to update browser extension

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @MaxAlexand, sorry about the issues you're seeing with 1Password in Firefox. I'd like to ask a few questions:

• What steps have you taken to try and unlock the extension in Firefox?
    • What unexpected behavior do you see? For example, do you get an error message? Does a blank tab open?
    • Could you go to about:preferences#privacy in Firefox and let me know if 'Never remember history' or 'Always use private browsing mode' is enabled?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

• MaxAlexand
    MaxAlexand
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Joy,
    Thanks for the assist!

• Checked for most recent browser version, most recent extension version, reset browser privacy settings from Custom to Standard, logged into 1P website on browser.
    • Yes, a blank tab opens whenever I open the browser, or click the 1P extension icon - "moz-extension://e8763468-fa24-41b4-8510-9c8622e5e170/app/app.html#/page/welcome?language=en"
    • Yes! I do have the "Never remember history" set.
      Best,
      Mike
  • ag_tommy
    edited February 2023
    Options

@MaxAlexand

It seems like you are encountering this If you see “can't store local data” in Firefox

1Password for Firefox needs to be able to store your 1Password data on your computer. If “Never remember history” or “Always use private browsing mode” are turned on in Firefox, you won’t be able to use 1Password.

To use 1Password in Firefox:

1. Click the Firefox menu in the toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Click Privacy & Security.
    3. Turn on “Remember history” or “Use custom settings for history”.
    • If you turn on “Use custom settings for history”, make sure “Always use private browsing mode” is turned off.
    1. Restart Firefox.
  • MaxAlexand
    MaxAlexand
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you ag_T!
    May I switch back to "Never remember History" once 1P is setup and working, or must it stay in that state for 1P to function at all times?
    Best,
    Mike

• MaxAlexand
    MaxAlexand
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks ag_tommy,

That suggestion got me working in Firefox.

Best,

Mike

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @MaxAlexand, if 'Never remember history' or 'Always use private browsing mode' are enabled at any point, the 1Password extension will not work as expected. So we don't recommend enabling those settings even after things are running well.

If privacy is a concern, I would recommend opening a private window in Firefox and using 1Password from there. Using a private window does not save your history, but it would still allow you to use 1Password.

In case you need it, here's how to allow for 1Password to run in private windows:

1. Click the Firefox menu at the top right of your browser toolbar and click Add-ons.
    2. Click the three dots next to the 1Password and choose Manage.
    3. Make sure that "Run in Private Windows" is set to Allow.

Here's how to open a private window and use 1Password:

1. While Firefox is running, click on File.
    2. Click on New Private Window.
    3. Look for the 1Password icon in that window's toolbar. Unlock it if needed.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.