Caching issue?

Mostly irrelevant context: Got a random text that a domino's pizza was being delivered: https://share.cleanshot.com/qXh2N0nXF7Kf7rcKSJNh I didn't order pizza, so proceeded to check my account on dominos.com. Also certainly unrelated: password autofill is not working on dominos.com: https://share.cleanshot.com/Y0Svk81Ss0D70DQMGnpG (gif) (filed separate issue here: https://1password.community/discussion/137597/dominos-com-username-password-fields-are-recognized-but-autofill-isnt-working-from-inside-page/p1?new=1)

Finally, the kicker is that my.1password.com seems to have been out of sync with the browser extension... at least that's what I experienced on Dominos.com. I proceeded to reset my password, and then manually updated the dominos password on my.1password.com. Searching my account for "dominos" there is only one entry. Then, the reset didn't seem to work... Tried a few recent passwords from my clipboard history... no go... account got locked... had to do a second password reset. Fully aware something was off, after updating my password for dominos on my.1password.com, I proceeded to try logging back into dominos using 1password "Autofill" button from the extension browserAction popover. No go. Reloaded the page for dominos.com. No go. I could have tried creating a new tab to force sessionStorage to refresh, but alas, I went straight into chrome://extensions, disabled, and re-enabled the extension. The password in the extension was then updated.

Maybe passwords in the extension are cached for a period of time, but the extension should be able to observe that I updated my password on my.1password.com, and subsequently update the password that the extension knows about.

I only use the 1password chrome extension. I don't use the mac app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.6.0
OS Version: 13.2 (22D49)
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hey @devinrhode2. As a test, if you create a new Login item in the 1Password web app (my.1password.com), does that item show up instantly in the extension? You're right that changes should propagate immediately to the extension.

• devinrhode2
    devinrhode2
    Community Member

I have since re-installed the 1password extension, which felt quite drastic to me.

I just did a test:
    (main window) logged into my.1password.com
    enabled 1password extension for incognito windows in chrome://extensions (click "Details" button)

opened incognito window, navigated to my.1password.com
    change password on my.1password.com main window to some nonsense

Reload my.1password.com page in incognito window
    changes were reflected.

Separately.. I'll want to highlight the egregiousness of discovering that reinstalling the extension fixed any issues.

The extension was always failing to save things from inside a webpage. New account/new website, generate password (works), then click "Save in 1password" and it would open a full modal, and... it would ALWAYS fail, showing basically "Failed to save item" in red text at the bottom of the modal.

Likely, SOMEBODY at 1password encountered this bug during some testing, manual or automated, but unfortunately doesn't have much experience around caching bugs. Instead of really pondering why this bug appeared, they simply reinstalled the extension. Little did they realize, it was a caching bug. Yes, reinstalling the extension fixed the issue. BUT it's a real issue. Now likely EVERYBODY needs to reinstall the extension, lest you figure out how to do some sort of crazy cache bust...

• Hey @devinrhode2,

Thank you for getting back to us and for sharing the steps you took to get things back on track.

We are currently investigating an issue that some users are running into when saving items and I'm sorry that you seemed to have ran into this.

I totally understand the frustration when things aren't working as expected. I hope things are smooth sailing from here on but please do let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

• tomasohara
    tomasohara
    Community Member

The caching issue is an intermittent problem for me under three different platform (Mac, Android, and Linux); however, the reinstall extension option is not practical. Please come up with a better workaround. For example, there could be an option for 1password to just flush its cache, so I don't have to re-register, et. which is incredibly disruptive to ones workflow. You can put me on the beta list for such on option.

This discussion has been closed.