Please give me more options to scan a QR code when adding an OTP.

Options
tobicoh
tobicoh
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Android

It's extremely frustrating that the QR code scanning feature can ONLY scan from the screen on desktop and ONLY scan from the camera on mobile. I should have the option to scan from either my camera or a screenshot on all platforms.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @tobicoh! 👋

Thank you for the feedback! I would be happy to pass your request along to the product team on your behalf. Can you tell me what kinds of devices you're currently using? For example, are you using devices running Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, or something else?

If you're using an iPhone or iPad then you can use the 1Password for Safari extension to scan two-factor authentication QR codes: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

-Dave

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

The Windows desktop app offers reading a QR code by a built in laptop camera at signing in to my account, however the same app doesn't offer the webcam for adding a mfa code. Usually, you don't need it, but sometimes you do. For example if you want to add mfa from a printed paper backup, or if you are surfing with your smartphone but don't want to switch to 1Password to add mfa but use your desktop computer to scan the QR code that's displayed on the smartphone.

However, I understand if you don't add scanning from a laptop camera. It's very difficult to get it to recognize a QR code held in front of it. When I tried to use a QR code generated by the smartphone app to sign in to the desktop app on a new laptop, I had to try many positions of my smartphone and try different lighting until the QR code was finally recognized. Smartphone cameras are way better with scanning QR codes, they literally never fail.

• tobicoh
    tobicoh
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P the devices I use are Windows and Android.

I've run into the following use cases:

1. Enabling 2FA on Gmail on my phone. The site displays a QR code, but there's no way for me to add it into 1password. Scanning from a screenshot would solve this.
    2. Adding an OTP which was sent to me by text message on my laptop. There's no easy way to send the image from my phone to the laptop. Having the option to scan an image on my phone from the Android app would have also worked, but scanning my phone screen directly from my laptop camera would be the most convenient solution.
  • Hey @tobicoh and @Tertius3, thanks so much for your input! I have passed your request along to our product team for consideration.

In the meantime, if you're unable to scan the QR code with the available means, most sites will provide you with a string of characters that you'll be able to copy and paste instead!

ref: PB-30797671

This discussion has been closed.