2FA - is it important to keep the QR code?

9AmberMoog
9AmberMoog
Community Member

If I use 2FA - say Google Authenticator or Authy. Is it important to keep the QR code so that, say a phone is lost, one can get the 2FA codes again for the new phone and resign into 1Password. I'm assuming that if I am not signed into another device with 1Password and only have my iPhone as a device, I might be stuck otherwise.

1Password Version: 8.9.14
Extension Version: 2.6.0
OS Version: Mac OS 13.2
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• @9AmberMoog

I do keep my QR codes for exactly the same reasons. I store mine in 1Password. It's not that much of a concern (to me) nowadays with 1Password supporting TOTP. As someone who lost an account due to this way back when I felt it is a very easy thing to continue doing. I would recommend including you 1Password TOTP code with your 🚒 Emergency Kit for safe keeping.

Also, you indicated you are on 8.9.14. Please update to 8.9.15 when possible there was an issue with 8.9.14 where it caused some folks trouble accessing 1Password in the browser. Luckily Safari was not one of those affected. Which you also indicated you use.

• 9AmberMoog
    9AmberMoog
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Thanks, I appreciate the info on QR codes and TOTP and that there was a new version of 1Password!

• On behalf of Tommy you're very welcome, @9AmberMoog!

I'll share some option reading about QR codes from our blog in case you're interested: QR Codes: What Are The Cybersecurity Risks?

Let us know if you have any questions. 😊

This discussion has been closed.