How to export a single vault

Options
2»

Comments

• @AlexLA

Thank you for sharing. I generally don't recommend that folks manually edit their exported items since it can result in malformed files that 1Password, and other password managers, aren't able to read. This can lead to data loss.

I've let the team know that a selective export feature is highly requested in the community. For now, if you do need to export just certain vaults, I suggest trying the Travel Mode workaround that I mentioned earlier in the thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/686235/#Comment_686235

-Dave

• jholtslander
    jholtslander
    Community Member
    Options

We as an agency have a vault for each of our clients. Many/most of whom do not use 1Password themselves.

We need a way to export their data from their vault to pass on to them without exporting all 300+ vaults simultaneously to csv where their stuff is mixed in amongst thousands of other items with no way to effectively differentiate them from each other.

• @jholtslander

Thank you for the feedback. Have you looked into whether creating guest accounts for your individual clients may work here? By using a guest account you can send your clients their vault information, by sending them the credentials to login to their guest account, without exporting their logins into a plain text file:

That being said, I've passed along your request for a selective export to the team.

-Dave

ref: PB-37821380

• jholtslander
    jholtslander
    Community Member
    edited January 16
    Options

Have you looked into whether creating guest accounts for your individual clients may work here?

To you and I, being technical people, that seems like a good idea. It is.
    In reality, with extremely busy, non-technical clients, we'd end up losing a ton of time walking them through the process, holding their hand, and frustrating everyone involved.

They can handle unzipping an encrypted zip file containing a .csv but asking much more of them is asking to much of most clients as they're on their way out the door.

• @jholtslander

That's a fair point, I've passed your new comment along to the team as well. Thank you for taking the time to provide your use case so that we can make 1Password better for you and everyone.

If you haven't seen it already, the travel mode workaround to export just a single vault that my colleague posted earlier might help you for now:

1. Use Travel Mode to temporarily remove all but the vault that you'd like to export: Use Travel Mode to remove vaults from your devices when you travel
    2. Use the 1Password desktop app to export data to a CSV: How to export your data from the 1Password desktop app
    3. Confirm that the CSV file only contains data from the vault that you'd like to export and share.
    4. Turn off Travel Mode so that all of your vaults appear in the desktop app again.

-Dave

• jholtslander
    jholtslander
    Community Member
    Options

What I ended up doing in the end yesterday was renaming every item in the client's vault with a unique prefix

eg: CLIENTA - Twitter, CLIENTA - Mailchimp, etc.

which made isolating them in the exported CSV of all vaults possible.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 17
    Options

I'm glad you found a solution that worked for you. As Dave mentioned your comments were shared with the team. Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry the extra work was needed. I hope we can improve on this for everyone.

ref: PB-37821380

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

As the OP, I'm glad to see the continued effort to differentiate between exported vaults in a 1PUX file that contains "all" the data pertinent to a vault. I support several nonprofits' technology needs and 4-5 times a month I need to provide a new employee or volunteer with all the various types of info in 1Password that pertains to their organization. I find it difficult to believe this isn't the case for hundreds of thousands of 1Password users. Hopefully, this will soon bubble up as a truly necessary feature in 1Password.

• @LarryMcJ

Thank you, I've passed your new comment along to the team as well. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-30924657

• alexf
    alexf
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, it's now over a year since this topic was opened! I'm adding my support for this feature request, for you to thank me for it and share it with the team. 🙄

• Dave_1P
    edited May 2
    Options

@alexf

Thank you for reaching out, I've filed a feature request on your behalf. Have you tried the workaround that I mentioned earlier in the thread? Here are the steps again:

1. Use Travel Mode to temporarily remove all but the vault that you'd like to export: Use Travel Mode to remove vaults from your devices when you travel
    2. Use the 1Password desktop app to export data to a CSV: How to export your data from the 1Password desktop app
    3. Confirm that the CSV file only contains data from the vault that you'd like to export and share.
    4. Turn off Travel Mode so that all of your vaults appear in the desktop app again.

Would that provide you with a solution for now? If it doesn't then can you tell me a little more about why you're exporting a single vault so that I can make sure that the team understands your use case? 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-39578379