Converter converting Logins as Identities [mrc converter suite]

Options
RS915
RS915
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Windows

Okay, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to convert login names with passwords to 1Password. I need email to be saved in the login aswell. The problem is that mrc converter converts all logins to Identity format.

I don't know if csv file is incorrectly filled or if I used wrong command in converter.

Filled csv with logins:

Csv in notepad:

Command used in converter:

Imported items in 1Password look like this:

I also tried adding a Category column before Title column and assigning a Login category to each item. But this didn't help either, it always converts as Identity.

Thank you in advance for your help in solving my problem.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hello @RS915

I see the issue. Each category in the csv converter require specific header labels. Any of these trigger category detection. And those labels also indicate how to apply the field values, so use the correct labels. Here is the list from the README:

Notice that the Identity category gets triggered when the label Email is present. And notice that a Login gets detected when the any of the labels Login Username, Login Password, Login URL, or Additional URLs are present.

Your labels row has a Email column label, hence the spreadsheet data is detected as Identity items. Make sure to use the labels required for that category:

Update the labels per the requirements, and you should be fine.

• RS915
    RS915
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, it's working now. Actually, I tried to name labels in first row according to README help for Login category, but it still didn't work. So I think it was more likely due to Email label, this label is highlighted in bold. When I renamed it to E-mail (with dash), it converted as Login and not as Identity.

And one more question. Is it now possible to somehow move E-mail label out of ORIGINAL FIELDS section? It can't be moved outside section. And when I delete section header, it also deletes E-mail label.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2023
    Options

@RS915

Great!

You are correct. I highlighted the Website label incorrectly, and my brain latched onto that label. Of course it is the bold Email label that triggered the Identity category. I'll correct the issue in the post above, just for future reference. Good catch.

As far as moving items between 1Password sections, that's not possible. However, we can customize the csv converter to do what you want. Is this what you are looking for... ?

• RS915
    RS915
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. If Email label could be right below Website, it would be great.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2023
    Options

@RS915

In the Converters folder inside the mrc-converter-suite folder, there is a file named Csv.pm. Edit that file with a plain text editor. Look for this section:

Add the following line as shown (copy / paste it):

[ '_email',             1, qr/^login email$/i,          { $G->custom_field(string => 'sn_main', 'email') } ],

so that it looks like this:

You can change the label email (see arrow) inside the single quotes to whatever label you want to appear in 1Password. The label you will use in your CSV should be Login Email (case does not matter). That label is matched by the pattern in the new field definition line above.

Let me know how this works out!

• RS915
    RS915
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome, it's working! You saved me a lot of time, I don't have to edit it manually :)

So is it possible to edit csv.pm file in this way and can I add my own labels? Or is it limited to labels that are listed in README file?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2023
    Options

@RS915

That's great, thanks for the reply.

For custom fields, (like the one defined in that new line I gave you), the converter can (generally) define any labels and section names. You probably notice that in the other parts of that login definition, there are no labels (there are only 1Password template field names and patterns to be matched against the input data).

The stock 1Password fields have predefined labels. The 1PUX generator sets the labels, and these are based on 1Password's stock labels, as defined by their (internal) templates. While it is possible to change certain labels in that generator, it's not a good idea (for several reasons). I'd advise against making changes there.

• RS915
    RS915
    Community Member
    Options

I understand. I was just asking out of curiosity.

I'm switching to 1Password from Enpass. I tried using Enpass converter, but my Enpass database is such a big mess, I could spend days cleaning it up. So I just generated a csv file and am editing it gradually. At least I'll have order in all logins. And thanks to your converter I can easily import 75 % logins. Rest I add manually as those contain a lot of labels.

So thank you again, you've been incredibly helpful.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2023
    Options

@RS915

Ah, I see. Enpass can create problems for users who previously imported from other password managers, and export to move to yet another one. You probably read the notices in the README about some of the issues. And password managers that allow customizing all the field labels and create new category templates add complexity when users want to move on.

In case you are not aware, you can define the types of things you want the converter to process in input, and produce on output. See the --imptypes and --exptypes options. This might allow you to convert parts of your Enpass JSON export, saving some time. You can also produce CSV from the Enpass JSON (using the --to_format csv option). Using the JSON export and converting it to CSV (one file, or one file per-category) might allow faster cleanup.

Let me know if you need anything further.
    Enjoy 1Password!

• RS915
    RS915
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the ideas, but there aren't many items I need to edit anymore. As I wrote, I've managed to import the vast majority of them already.

Of course, if I need help in the future, I know who to contact. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.