Enable autofill for form fields

pamdooley
pamdooley
Community Member
edited February 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I used to type a couple of letters in a form field and Chrome would auto fill the rest (or give me choices in a dropdown) but since I have installed the 1Password extension, it no longer does that. How do I get that to work?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:autofill form

Comments

• Hi @pamdooley ,

Thanks for reaching out!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you'd like to use Chrome's built-in password manager at the same time as 1Password for filling some forms?

After installing 1Password, by default, 1Password will control the autofill setting in your browser. We recommend using 1Password to fill your information as it's often more convenient and safer to have all your data stored in one location. Are there particular details you're looking to fill, or an example you could provide? I'd be happy to look into it and offer some solutions available with 1Password.

If you would like to continue using your browser's built-in password manager for autofilling certain details, here is a workaround you can try:

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in Chrome's toolbar and click Settings.
    2. Under the "General" section, toggle off the "Make 1Password the default password manager" setting.
    3. Paste the following into Chrome's address bar: chrome://settings/autofill
    4. Click Password Manager, Payment methods, or Addresses and more and toggle on the corresponding autofill setting if you would like to use it:
    • "Offer to save passwords"
    • "Save and fill payment methods"
    • "Save and fill addresses"

Additionally, I'd recommend turning off the autofill menu on field focus in 1Password in the browser's settings. This will allow you to show/hide 1Password’s autofill menu manually by clicking the 1Password icon within the field, rather than have it automatically displayed when the field is in focus. I've included the steps for adjusting this below:

1. Right-click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar and select "Settings".
    2. Scroll down to the "Autofill" section.
    3. Ensure "Show autofill menu on field focus" is toggled off.

Let us know how this works for you and if you have any further questions.

This discussion has been closed.