1Password Chrome Extension Stops Working

Options
dfors
dfors
Community Member
edited February 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm new to 1password (lastpass convert) and I'm doing a lot of resetting passwords.

At least a couple times a day I got to a site after, and 1password offers a new password to fill. But when I click, nothing happens. In the browser dev tools, when I click, there's an error on the console.

Uncaught (in promise) Error: Error response received for message
at menu.js:4:4508

Similarly, if I click on the browser extension, there's a new password to copy. But clicking copy gives an error:

The only way I can get it working again is to restart the browser entirely, which is quite annoying.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.6.0
OS Version: Ubuntu 22.04
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• dfors
    dfors
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a better way to reach the development team other than this forum? This continues to be a constant problem for me.

• Hey @dfors,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having and the delay in getting back to you.

It sounds like you might be running into a known issue that we are currently investigating. This may be caused by some syncing troubles from the browser extension's authentication with our server. I apologize for any interruption in your workflow caused by this issue.

In the meantime, could you try the following to see if it helps?

1. Open your browser.
    2. Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar and select "Settings".
    3. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    4. Under Accounts & Vaults, click the ( ⋮ ) three dots to sign out of your account.
    5. Click "+ Sign in to a new account" to sign back in.
    6. If you have the 1Password app installed re enable "Integrate with 1Password app".

I hope this helps, as for another contact method please feel free to email support@1Password.com at any time!

ref: dev/core/core#17386

• dfors
    dfors
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! I've done that. I don't have the 1Password app installed, so I'll just not re-enable that. Hopefully this fixes the issue!

• Thanks for the prompt response @dfors, I hope things are smooth sailing from here on!

• dfors
    dfors
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Unfortunately, I started getting the same error again today. It pops to offer auto fill, but clicking just does nothing an in the dev tools console it says the same message:

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dfors I'm sorry that the suggestions did not help. As Steph mentioned, the issue that you've encountered is something that our developers are investigating. They've recently release a fix for one possible cause of the problem, and it is available in the beta version of the extension. Could you try the beta version of the extension to see if the behavior improves?

Here's how to get the beta extension: 1Password beta

Please let us know how that goes!

• dfors
    dfors
    Community Member
    Options

I've been traveling away from the computer in question, and only just now got the beta installed. I will report back.

• Thanks @dfors, let us know how you get on!

• dfors
    dfors
    Community Member
    Options

Still having the same issue with the beta version. Same uncaught promise message:

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dfors, thanks for the update. I'm sorry that the issue is still occurring in the beta version of the extension. Could you reproduce the issue and send us your complete extension console logs so that we can investigate things further?

If you do not have the steps to grab the logs handy, here is a link: https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-console-log/

Please attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• dfors
    dfors
    Community Member
    Options

Done. Just sent it in.

• Thank you @dfors

• pljnn
    pljnn
    Community Member
    Options

Is there an update to this? I run into this exact issue and have to uninstall and reinstall the extension to get it working.

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @pljnn - I'm sorry to hear you've bumped into this issue as well. Our team is actively investigating this issue, but I have a couple questions on what you're seeing, if you don't mind:

• Do you use the 1Password app (desktop app) as well?

• If yes, does the browser extension and the desktop app lock/unlock along with each other, or do they need to be unlocked separately?
    • Do you have two-factor authentication enabled for your 1Password account?

• If you manually lock/unlock the browser extension, does it improve the behaviour for you (in the same way that reinstalling does)? Here's how to manually lock/unlock:
      1. Right click the 1Password icon in the web browser's toolbar, and select 'Lock'.
      2. Wait a few seconds, left click the locked 1Password icon, then enter your account password and unlock the extension once more.
      3. Test things out again.

I look forward to your reply!

This discussion has been closed.