Using Apple Magic Keyboard with Touch ID with closed lid / clamshell

Options
tgravity
tgravity
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Mac

I am posting a solution since the main post on this doesn't lead to a proper solution and is closed.

If you have problems enabling Touch ID for 1Password using the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID while your laptop lid is closed, do the following:

• The Touch ID functionality of the Magic Keyboard is only compatible with Apple Silicon Macs.
  • Make sure the keyboard is associated with your laptop's Touch ID. You'll know this if you've been through the prompt to tap the Touch ID on your laptop twice to confirm the connection with the keyboard during initial setup for the keyboard.
  • Make sure the keyboard is connected via bluetooth. This is the most important part. If you have it connected via wired, unlock via Touch ID will not work.
  • In System Preferences > Touch ID & Password > "Use Touch ID for purchases in iTunes Store ... Apple Books" must be enabled.
  • Again, if you have your keyboard connected via wired, this option will not toggle on even after entering in your password to confirm enabling the setting. It will only toggle on if the keyboard is connected via bluetooth and only bluetooth. You must disconnect the lightning cable from the keyboard even if it's connected to bluetooth.
  • Once this is enabled, you should be able to unlock 1Password in a closed lid situation with the keyboard.

Hope that helps!

1Password Version: 8.9.15
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.2
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @tgravity! 👋

Thank you for sharing your advice and experience with using Magic Keyboard with Touch ID! I'm sure that it will be helpful to folks. 😊

-Dave

• tgravity
    tgravity
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

I also want to add if on a restart of your laptop, you lose the ability to toggle the "Use Touch ID for purchases in iTunes Store... and AppleBooks" option on / or it's in an off state, make sure your keyboard is not connected to wire (bluetooth only), and toggle the power on your keyboard off then back on. It should toggle back on automatically once the keyboard reconnects to bluetooth.

• Thank you. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.