Passkey Login for Teams

Options

Very exciting news on the passkey announcement, but it got me wondering. Which is more secure: strong MP + Private Key or a Passkey? I know my users will be happier, just trying to understand the risk.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @lspeterman,

While the overall strength of an account password and Secret Key is dependent on a number of factors, like the strength of the account password, in most cases, the 256 bits of entropy used to generate a Passkey means that the Passkey will be harder to crack.

We cover this and more details in our Goodbye, passwords blog post:

Passkeys are also resistant to phishing, and they have a full 256 bits of entropy to prevent cracking – providing even more protection than our Secret Key.

If you haven't yet, check our the full blog post and let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

• lspeterman
    lspeterman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Scott. The reason I ask is I'd love to convert the teams tenant to passkeys, but I will inevitably be asked if there are cases where MP+SK+MFA is more secure.

• Hi @lspeterman,

I suspect our team will have more to say on this topic in the future. Stay tuned for more information about 1Password and passkey's.

If you haven't yet, also consider signing up for our Passwordless newsletter: https://www.future.1password.com/passkeys/#early-access

Cheers,

This discussion has been closed.